Foreign Object In Eye

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About four weeks ago I ended up taking Possy my 2yo into an emergency vet to get her eye checked out. It was swollen/red and draining. They did a green dye test, didn’t see anything and believed it to be feline herpes caused by the stress of two kittens coming home.

The e vet prescribed drops and I followed up with my vet a week later who prescribed stronger eye drops and liquid meds. We did this for two weeks and there was no improvement at all.

Went in this morning and since it’s only one eye my vet thinks there could be something in her third eyelid so she is going to sedate her and check her out today (had to leave the poor girl there). Also the fact she is playing with the kittens, stress doesn’t seem to be factor at this point. I brought Seti in aswell since he needed shots, and she was cuddling with him on the exam table for comfort - so kittens are no longer pushing her out of her comfort levels.

Anyone dealt with this? Felt so bad that she got her eye poked at and then was whisked away to get ready for sedation. Hope they are able to find the cause. Today is mostly exploratory - just hoping they find something and it’s easy to treat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Are you out of the vets yet? What did they say?
I'm glad to hear she's ok with the kittens, that is great news!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We get to go pick her up in about an hour. She’s still pretty groggy. I’m curious too! Don’t know what she could’ve gotten into. She’s an indoor cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So they ended up scraping the first 7 layers of her eye. The vet thought she saw what looked like a really small fiber or piece of glass. My guess? When the kittens first got let out, there’s one way she can get above the finished room in the basement and she likes to go there when she’s really freaked out. My guess is maybe a little bit of insulation got in her eye when she went up there a few times over the first 48 hours of the hooligans running loose.

Oddly enough, when I came home yesterday (my BF picked her up from the vet) she was snuggled-for the first time ever-with Seti on the couch.

She’s doing a lot better already, her eye is obviously irritated from the surgery but she’s keeping it about 2/3 of the way open now which is a big improvement! She has a follow up on a Saturday. She seems to be feeling better too.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's fantastic news! Who would have ever guessed? Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Best wishes for your follow up appointment on Saturday. Glad to hear she's feeling better and acting more like herself. :hugs: I hope the good news continues.