For New Year's Eve and for New Year's Day

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For years, we've always had pork and sauerkraut for our New Year's Day dinner. This morning, Rick suggested ham and green beans! Now, I knew he was kidding because....it's pork and sauerkraut on Jan 1! Over mashed potatoes! Or nothing! I was appalled and he started laughing.

Well, on New Year's Eve, I always make what we call a Big Sandwich. It's simply a batter-type yeast bread that I make. Slice it horizontally, fill it with lettuce, tomatoes, meats and cheeses, wrap it in foil and bake it, just long enough to get the cheeses nice and gooey. While we were at the grocery store this morning, I suggested we just make meatball subs for New Year's Eve and.....now who's appalled? He stopped dead in the middle of the aisle. "What? Say what? Are you insane, woman? That's just wrong! You don't have meatball subs on New Year's Eve! Wrong, just wrong!" And I started laughing at him.

So...what do you have on New Year's Eve? What is your New Year's Day meal? And would you be appalled if something else were to be served?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, Winchester Winchester you two are a hoot!

On the Eve, not so much tradition for the meal itself, but herring and Scotch as close to midnight as we can. I'd be in serious trouble if this was eliminated

Hoppin' John (with black eyed peas) for New year's day :)

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally do a roast leg of lamb for new year's dinner. The only thing I do on new year's eve is a shot of rum to toast my dad it was his birthday. I don't know what I'm having this new year's day my mother in law is cooking she's the best.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There’s no being appalled in this house unless you do the cooking. :crazy:

For NYE we decided to let the kids stay up this year. Usually I make appetizers and munch while DH dozes on the couch before stumbling to bed at 12:02.

This year the kids and I are making cocktail meatballs, pigs in a blanket and frozen empanadas. I also have frozen plantains (sweet and savory), a cheese/cracker/meat tray andveggie salad and spinach dip. Oh and a shrimp ring. Whateverr we don’t eat the night of will be our dinner the next day.

I got “2020” glasses and crowns for us to wear. I’d have gotten poppers too but not with cats around. That’s too much mess.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the south, it's black eyed peas and greens or cabbage. Sweet cornbread goes well with them, too.

We see the new year in by having money in our hands.

Our granddaughter used to spend NYE with us. When she was about 7 I read of a tradition of eating 13 peanuts at midnight. I mentioned it to her and she thought it was a great idea. We didn't have any peanuts, so I suggested raisins. She decided that would be fine, so raisins it was for as long as she continued to spend NYE with us.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually spend NYE with my mom and our animals, this year is no exception. She likes to cook herself and has pretty much the same menu every year except for the main dish. This year for main dish she is roasting some sort of beef. For side dish, I bought the dolmas so have her cook a little less. She made potato balls. There will be a cheese-olives-ham plate. And lots of nuts later in the night. I don't eat beef so it's al side dishes for me. Not that I complain at all.

Afiyet olsun, all! (Turkish for bon appetite :))

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we've always had pork and sauerkraut for our New Year's Day dinner.
I thought pork & sauerkraut was for St. Patrick's Day?

My family doesn't celebrate holidays, so it's just like any other day. I'll probably be in bed by my usual 10pm anyway.