Foot Surgery Anyone?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't going to ask, but have decided to. Afraid of horror stories I might hear.

My orthopedist just told me unless I have bone fusion in my feet, I will be in a wheelchair in 10 years. Now, I am only 58, very active, of normal weight and good health.

But I have flat feet that I have abused my whole life. Working on a tour farm and giving pony rides to kids, I would wear these little slip on shoes and my ankles would turn every which way in the ruts. Working in a bakery on concrete floors. Where normal feed can handle that, mine couldn't.

Now arthritis has set in and my nerves in my feet are getting pinched from the bones that have fallen. UGH....what a mess. My feet are starting to turn out (pronate) and have almost frozen in that position.

He is going to straighten my foot, so I won't have anymore pain. It's getting depressing this pain all the time. I have so much ambition, but it just hurts. Some days are better, but his prognosis really scares me. I am way to young for this! At least that is what he said.

I am getting a second opinion at the end of March. Although, with all the research I have done, I tend to believe the diagnosis. It is an outpatient thing, but takes 2 hours. Involves screws. Three months recovery. No weight the first month, second, a bit...third a walking cast. Then turn around and do the other one.

I still have some life left in me!
I can still climb a tree with the grandkids. And I want to be able to do that for a long, long, time. I think the procedure is Arthrodesis. Or bone fusion.

Sorry so long, just wanted to get the whole pic out there. Has anyone had this done? Or know anyone who has? From what I see, it is usually successful. Never had surgery... just my ears pierced!

Of course then there is the problem of taking care of the kitties. Well, I will have crutches or a scooter thingy.....Lord, I sound like I am 90 years old! DH is a marvel. He is always right there for me. But he does work four days a week. My kids will also be here for me and the gal down the road. We will get through that fine.

Thanks guys for your help. I guess I need a little encouragement. Don't like the idea of pain!!!

kimkats000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband had to have ankle surg. due to a BADLY broken ankle. Some words of advice:

-Ask for a wheelchair. If doc. will write a RX for it your insurance will help pay for it. SO much easier to get out into the world with.

-Get a temp. handicap hanger for parking.

-Get a shower chair at least for the no weight bearing time.

-Get some "biking" or weight lifting gloves. It will save your hands with the crutches and wheelchair.

-buy a cheap/small egg crate bed topper (Big Lots). Put some on top of the crutches and cover with THICK/SOFT fabric. Make sure you can take it off and wash it.

-Get a backpack. This will help around the house so YOU can carry a drink or stuff YOURSELF! Your hands are going to be full with crutches or such for a while.

-Ask doc about getting rocker sole shoes. I am not sure how much they are talking about fusing or what they are talking about fusing. IF they are talking about your whole ankle the rocker shoes (like shape ups) will help.

GOOD LUCK!

Kim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Golly, I would never have thought about all that! So glad you told me. I like the idea of the gloves too.

You just dont think of these things when your mind is on the surgery!

Thanks so much!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had minor foot surgery years ago. We have a quad level house, lots of steps. I had to crawl up and down then vs hopping.

If you can start making a bunch of meals you can freeze. Get some books,movies to entertain yourself. I see many people with these scooter things that one kneels on and push with the other leg. A customer had one at work and liked it.
If you are going to get some sort of device that you can get around with he said to check what your insurance will pay vs paying out of pocket for renting one.

Watch what you eat as your activity level will be way down. I gained 10# the first month after surgery!

Make you you ask for help around the house and doing errands.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really know anybody who's had foot surgery. But I want to give you a
and some for quick healing!

Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. And do not over-do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I had minor foot surgery years ago. We have a quad level house, lots of steps. I had to crawl up and down then vs hopping.

If you can start making a bunch of meals you can freeze. Get some books,movies to entertain yourself. I see many people with these scooter things that one kneels on and push with the other leg. A customer had one at work and liked it.
If you are going to get some sort of device that you can get around with he said to check what your insurance will pay vs paying out of pocket for renting one.

Watch what you eat as your activity level will be way down. I gained 10# the first month after surgery!

Make you you ask for help around the house and doing errands.
Our bedroom is upstairs, so there is an issue there. I thought I'd prob go up and down on my bottom!
Whatever works! Meals are a good idea. We like those Healthy Choice meals. I will have books, and I will be able to sit outside. I saw a couple of those scooters, but yea, gotta find out who will pay what.

10lbs the first month.....uh oh! Yes, I imagine it will be hard to keep the wt off. But I have to keep in mind that less wt will mean an easier recovery when I have to start wt. bearing....glad you brought that up.

THis is such a bad time to have it. Probably in April sometime. We have had such a hideous winter I so look forward to getting my hands dirty planting things. I am sure my daughters and son will fill in the gaps when DH is at work. At least for the first couple weeks when I am sure it will be painful.

Thanks again for the advice.

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didnt have ankles done but I did have bunions and ingrowing toe nails on both feet at the same time. The first 6 weeks after having it done I couldnt drive which was a bit of a pain, also as someone else said having a shower can be fun, I put freezer bags over my feet tied up with selotape
and used one of the outside plastic chairs to sit on. There is nothing worse than being in pain all the time so if it can be fixed go for it.

A friend of mine had her ankles done last year and is so much happyer now.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't offer you any advice but I just wanted to wish you well and send you vibes, you sound like a very strong minded lady and I am sure you will come through the surgery brilliantly and be back to climbing trees again in no time, I cannot imagine my mum climbing trees in her stilettos with my kids (what a fab image in my mind
).xx

jazzbear742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had five surgeries on the same foot. First one involved a hospital stay, cast to my knee and crutches. Others were outpatient with a clunky wooden splint-shoe. The bones in my foot had dropped down years after the initial surgery and made walking very painful. Once they were put back in place, no further problems. Big relief.

I agree - get a backpack. You can't carry anything in your hands when on crutches. If you are alone at mealtime, try to sit at the counter right next to the microwave or stove. You can prepare your food but you won't be able to carry it to the table.

Be sure to learn proper crutch-walking techniques - especially on steps. Remember this phrase when going up or down steps: "the good go up and the bad go down" meaning start with your good foot when going up the step, then lift the bad foot and crutches up to the step the good foot is on. When going down, bend your good knee and lead with the crutches and the bad foot. I see so many people do this backwards and end up leaning forward and ready to topple down the steps!

One more thing - don't rush your recovery. Take your time and allow your foot to heal properly. Otherwise, it won't be right and you'll end up having to do it all over again. Good luck!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't give advice here as I have never had foot problems. I do wish you well with the surgery and recovery. It is a blessing to have kids and a husband you can depend on. Take care of yourself.