Food

Jeanene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have a cat with diabetes and stage 1-2 kidney disease. Mixing fancy feast with prescription hills kD. It is very expensive and need suggestions for other foods.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is your cat newly diagnosed with both of these issues? For diabetes you need to feed very low carbs, and for kidney disease you need to feed lower phosphorus foods. Both of these can be accomplished fairly easily with wet food. Dry food is the enemy of diabetic cats with the exception of just one of two very expensive foods. (young again zero and Wysong Epigen 90) You didn't mention whether or not you are feeding wet or dry, but Fancy Feast Classics (pate) is great for diabetics, but is pretty high in phosphorus. Fancy Feast Purely (the food, not the "appetizer", is great for both.

Most Weruva foods are good for diabetics and also kidney cats. What you are looking for as far as low carbs means no wheat products, corn products, potatoes, peas, carrots, that type of thing. Cats are meat eaters. You can look at the labels and check the ingredients for those kind of items. As far as phosphorus levels. with my kidney cats, I always tried to keep the phos. levels in food below 1%, and I used the chart referenced here: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeanene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u for replying. My cat has diabetes for a few years but recently diagnosed with kidney disease. I will check out the fancy feast purely and it’s contents. I did find a food that is called evangers restricted diet low phos. It’s low in carbs and phos. My vet said to try it so I’m in process of switching him.