Food transition

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kind of a medical history here so bear with me.

1. At 6 years old Clancy had a bowel resection and shortly afterwards had pancreatitis. He recovered and was placed on dry vet food (Royal Canin GI).

2. He did well for about 5 years but then began vomiting up that food several times a week. He was then switched to their canned version and did fine on that for a few more years. Now the little bugger hates it and won’t eat it.

3. Clancy has recently gotten over another bout of pancreatitis after eating temptations treats. Vet tried a hypoallergenic dry food and he got stomach discomfort. He clearly can’t digest dry food of any kind. Tried other vet GI food and he doesn’t like that either. He’s had bloodwork and everything else is fine.

4. In my research I discovered that cats prone to pancreatitis and GI problems need a hi protein/moderate calorie/ low carb diet.

5. To those ends I found that Instinct canned has high protein/ low carbs. Almost like a raw food. He loves it (he loves chicken.)

So here’s my dilemma: I can’t transition him slowly over to his new food because if the new food is mixed with the old, he won’t go near it. How do I transition him slowly to the new food when he won’t eat the old one?

ideas?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, sometimes cats are able to handle getting a new food. I think if you give him multiple small amounts of the new food throughout the day over several days (enough that at the end of the day he's gotten his caloric requirements) he and his digestion may make it ok. :vibes::crossfingers::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I thought might work, with fingers and toes crossed of course!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's okay to leave the old food off the plate in an old to new transition. I call this a "naked transition" and I have done it several times for my last cat. It's also okay to underfeed for a few days if it helps his digestion to adapt. Feeding smaller meals more often is good advice anyway for older cats and cats with digestion issues. Just don't feel like you have to feed him 10 times 1/10th portions to keep his calories up. He'll be okay on fewer calories for a few days.