Food allergies

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been trying a food trial for Ceriah but it really has been difficult. I tried Rawz rabbit and Merrick rabbit and that was no go. She was fine on the Z/D for a while but then her scratching got worse. Trying the Rayne kangaroo but she has a food intolerance to it and I think a food allergy to it as well. She's been shedding a ton and licking a lot (she is shedding more than my other two longhair cats put together). Tried the rawz rabbit again thinking it was the Merrick that was the issue but she started to scratch quite a bit again (4 times this morning within an hour). So the rabbit is a no-go. Thinking about trying ziwi peak lamb and then ziwi peak venison. For her it's more the other stuff in it that seems to be the issue (soybean oil, coconut oil, pretty sure sunflower seeds/oil, flaxseed, rice). I wondered if feeding her the same thing was causing more problems as she seems to get an allergy to it quickly over time. Maybe I should try both the lamb and venison? Or is that a bad idea?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For her it's more the other stuff in it that seems to be the issue (soybean oil, coconut oil, pretty sure sunflower seeds/oil, flaxseed, rice).

If it's the other stuff in food that might be triggering the itchiness, maybe try a homemade raw or home cooked diet?

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lamb and venison likely won't be any different since the hydrolyzed Hill's didn't have an effect; that makes it seem like a sensitivity to non-protein ingredients or non-food allergies. Are her only symptoms the scratching, shedding and licking?

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/d...atId=102899&id=4951526&ind=108&objTypeID=1007
So what are our clues that a pet has a food allergy? There are several hints:

• The itching is not seasonal (this is obviously hard to tell in areas that do not freeze during winter).
  • Itching started when the pet was less than 6 months of age or greater than 5-6 years of age.
  • No response to treatment for sarcoptic mange (a condition with a similar itchy skin pattern).
  • Corticosteroids have not been helpful in managing the itching. Corticosteroids may or may not work on food allergy itching but they almost always work for other allergies.
  • There are accompanying intestinal signs like vomiting or diarrhea. These are seen in 30 percent of food allergic pets.
  • The lesion distribution is compatible with food allergy , especially if an itchy anal area and/or recurrent ear infections are involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lamb and venison likely won't be any different since the hydrolyzed Hill's didn't have an effect; that makes it seem like a sensitivity to non-protein ingredients or non-food allergies. Are her only symptoms the scratching, shedding and licking?

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/d...atId=102899&id=4951526&ind=108&objTypeID=1007
She was reacting to the soybean oil and coconut oil in the Z/D wet and dry. We did an allergen test and though it didn't show any positives the food allergy blood test isn't often accurate. No environmental allergies show on the test and she is an indoor cat (but has a catio). She has fur loss on the ears, face and neck I believe as well (her neck seems to be getting sparser). She does have fur loss on the belly but I'm not sure if that's from her grooming or playing. Her fur loss on the ears is getting worse, not better. She also does get runny eyes and her ears can be super red. Like beet red. It started again after eating Rawz. She hasn't had that for quite a while. She can wake up suddenly and then start grooming frantically for a bit. She can also sneeze quite a bit and tends to have one ear that gets filthy very quickly.

The shedding has only started since on the kangaroo. The amount of fur that is coming off is a lot. I know she's fluffy and I know cats shed but compared to my even fluffier boys she's shedding way more. She's only ever had one hairball before (literally in all her life and she's turning 3 years old this year) so having two in a week is not good. She had one hairball then less than a minute later another hairball. She doesn't really groom Jethro much either. Just on the face sometimes. And the diarrhea is new as well. On the Z/D she had severe constipation and needed metamucil to help her poop.

You can see the fur loss on her ears on the bottom pic (and how much fluffier Fynn is than her).

20220725_163450.jpg
20220725_163750.jpg

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since she isn't showing any specific allergies to anything, I'm wondering if you might try her on antihistomines. Have you tried that. We had another poster who had tried food trials, etc. and even Zyrtec with no relief. Then she tried Clariton and had a vast change for the better.

Here's the thread: If your cat has allergies read this

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat sounds like one of mine. I have spent so much money on her blood tests, tried all kinds of select protein foods (wet and dry), raw food, and Z/D. Z/D also made her itch more after some time. After a very long trial, I have found that she is allergic to all protein, regardless the type. So I have been successfully managing her allergy ever since with Purina Hydrolyzed food. Does not cause any itching, and my cat likes the taste. It is expensive but the only thing that works.