Following Rory’s urinary blockage

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As previously posted about Rory’s urinary obstruction. He was in the emergency for 36 hours, they saw some crystals in his pee and struvite and calcium oxalate stones. He was on IV fluids and on urinary diet food and they had to insert a catheter and then on his final day they took it off to see if he could pee on his own. He finally peed on his own and was able to be discharged. He was brought home with three different types of medications prazosin (muscle relaxer), pain medication and antibiotics. His behaviour has been better I mean for the most part he’s peeing but he constantly feels like he needs to go pee. He is going in random spots and sometimes a little bit of pee comes out other times nothing. And he’s been visiting his litter box quite often, sometimes he will have a bowel movement, sometimes he will try to pee and nothing is there. I’m not sure if this is normal behaviour, I’m just uncertain if he’s still disoriented and out of sorts because he’s on his meds so he’s not fully back to himself. The fact that he is trying to pee in some spots around the house, and succeeds and other times doesn’t does give me a bit of cause of concern because they said that there is a chance he could be blocked again. :( I’m reallly crossing my fingers that the meds will work and everything will be better once he’s off his meds. For reference he was discharged on Friday.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Calcium oxalate stones usually need surgery. How often do they recheck? Is he on a prescription diet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said they found a bit of calcium oxalate stones and that hopefully with the new prescription food and being unblocked he would be able to basically pee them out! He’s currently on HILL’S c/d urinary care canned food

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Calcium oxalate stones usually need surgery. How often do they recheck? Is he on a prescription diet?
They said they found a bit of calcium oxalate stones and that hopefully with the new prescription food and being unblocked he would be able to basically pee them out! He’s currently on HILL’S c/d urinary care canned food. His urine needs to be rechecked in 4-6 weeks to see if diet is working.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They said they found a bit of calcium oxalate stones and that hopefully with the new prescription food and being unblocked he would be able to basically pee them out! He’s currently on HILL’S c/d urinary care canned food. His urine needs to be rechecked in 4-6 weeks to see if diet is working.
Hope it works! Her ph did go down with c/d but she still wasn't peeing enough. She is now on royal canin. SO I think she lost interest in the c/d.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not well versed in the urinary diets; however, watch your cat to see where this is going. Fiona herself had repeated UTIs which finally resulted in a US in the ER on a Sunday morning on Mothers' Day years ago and they found the stones. She had surgery to remove them and never suffered from the problem again. I am certainly not trying to push you into surgery. Keep a good eye on your cat for discomfort or possible complications.

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope it works! Her ph did go down with c/d but she still wasn't peeing enough. She is now on royal canin. SO I think she lost interest in the c/d.
I know Royal canin contains carrageenan how do you feel about that ingredient?!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not telling anyone what to feed their cat but Jamie, who is very picky and who has a couple of medical conditions, prefers Fussie Cat which has carrageenan in it. I am not thrilled about it, but he has to eat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know Royal canin contains carrageenan how do you feel about that ingredient?!
I trust you are talking about canned, not dry. There is a non-pate (morsels in gravy) RC SO that does not contain carrageenan. If your cat will eat non-pates that might be an option. You could also consider using a blender with the non-pate version to make it more pate-like, if need be. You might ask your vet about Purina One Urinary care foods to see if they think that would be OK to try.

Feeby (16+ yo) also had oxalate stones at the age of 5, which did require surgery. She has been stone free since (knock on wood). She was on both Hill's C/D & RC SO up until about 3 years ago when she refused to eat either of them.

EDIT: Btw, catherization can cause some peeing issues afterward. How long, though, I am not sure.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I trust you are talking about canned, not dry. There is a non-pate (morsels in gravy) RC SO that does not contain carrageenan. If your cat will eat non-pates that might be an option. You could also consider using a blender with the non-pate version to make it more pate-like, if need be. You might ask your vet about Purina One Urinary care foods to see if they think that would be OK to try.

Feeby (16+ yo) also had oxalate stones at the age of 5, which did require surgery. She has been stone free since (knock on wood). She was on both Hill's C/D & RC SO up until about 3 years ago when she refused to eat either of them.

EDIT: Btw, catherization can cause some peeing issues afterward. How long, though, I am not sure.
The motsals in gravey is what I bought. No carrageenan

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you for this! This is great, I’ll get that too and try that. What do you think about the brand “Wenuva” it’s not urinary prescription diet but I read it’s not bad for cats with urinary issues?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What do you think about the brand “Wenuva” it’s not urinary prescription diet but I read it’s not bad for cats with urinary issues?
That is above my knowledge; I really know nothing about Weruva from a urinary perspective. I would suggest that you try the urinary care foods for now, at least until Rory is tested again. You hopefully have some time to sort this out.

But, I would put a call into the vet about his peeing behavior, and if the meds he is on is impacting that in any way, as well as how long he might be affected by the catheterization itself. Those are the most important things to know right now.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Rc and Hill's are made for cats with crystals so unfortunately stick with that though once her ph goes down I am going to ask if I can do that. In the beginning he said she has to be on it rest of her life. Also, don't mix rc and Hill's. I am going to finish the cans of rc then finish the cans of hills cd

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Weruva was the food that allowed Fiona to take her meds for hypothyroidism. She never had a urinary issue, but this was after she had her surgery for the bladder stones, so this is really anecdotal. I don't know about it as a solution to the issue.