Focal Seizures

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior cat has started a very strange behavior which I see on You Tube is very common in older cats. So many are posting about their cat having something called focal seizures which cause the head to have a mild tremor for a few seconds and also other muscular 'jerks.
My cat has a mild head tremor for a few seconds and occasionally will have a sudden lashing out of a front paw.
Here on the forum some have reported using Phenobarb prescribed by the vet.
However, I hesitate to give my cat more drugs in her little system. She is already taking Mirataz for appetite and Solensia for mobility(which I am considering discontinuing)
Expensive brain scans won;t solve anything, but just confirm what so many are reporting.
Anyone else have a cat with focal seizures?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other conditions that might look like focal seizures. If I were you, I'd take some videos of what your cat is doing and share them with your vet to see what they think.
I definitely agree. I would like to know how many on this forum experience this with their senior cat.
I have a feeling the vet would also say ckd and age has a lot to do with it.
I just had some labs for 6.1 glob reading and other emergency visits and funds are dwindling right now, so I hesitate in going the imaging route.The high globulin reading is another story, but the vet said that given her age, and no UTI, and the cost of imaging '' just let nature run its course''. So I know she would say the same for the slight tremor.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe the vet would have an idea as to whether there may be some level of discomfort with your cat. I can't imagine any vet not wanting to treat something if there is a likelihood that there is pain involved. 'Just let nature run its course' - whether it is related to CKD, focal seizures, or any other health condition, even in older cats, doesn't mean 'no treatment', especially if there may be any kind of discomfort or pain involved.

I did a search on 'focal seizures' and these are the threads that came up.
Search Results for Query: focal seizures | TheCatSite

Last edited: