foamy urine after spaying?

saammm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello! :)

my kitten (6 months old) was spayed last week on friday. on tuesday i had to bring her back to the vet and she was having a reaction to the sutures which caused an infection.

at the vet she received an injection of an antibiotic as well as gabapentin which she's receiving orally every 12 hours.

this morning, she went to use the box and it was much more forceful than usual. i went to check and her urine looked frothy/foamy. this is my first time seeing it and just wondering if i need to be concerned. (i know it can be a sign of kidney issues but not sure if it could be because of the infection, which is clearing up well from what i can see!)

her usage of the box has been completely normal up to now and she's drinking normal amounts.

she seems to be feeling better the past few days! her appetite is back close to normal and she's been pretty active and not lethargic by post-op standards. i even noticed she had the zoomies a bit last night and i had attributed it to her feeling more like herself for the first time in a few days.

should i be worried? thank you! ♥

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
foamy urine is normal with high pressure weeing, as it basically froths it up. Infection can cause inflammation, so she was probably straining a bit to get the urine out, which would explain why it came out more forcefully and frothed. Something to keep an eye on, but no need to worry at this stage, imo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saammm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
foamy urine is normal with high pressure weeing, as it basically froths it up. Infection can cause inflammation, so she was probably straining a bit to get the urine out, which would explain why it came out more forcefully and frothed. Something to keep an eye on, but no need to worry at this stage, imo.
thank you so much for the quick response! i have had cats in my family before but this is my first time having one alone and i tend to worry.

this is very, very helpful to know!