Fleas in house - no pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
vacuumed, did our second spray 2 weeks later today. + all bedding and laundry on hot.

how long would you all think we should continue to do our clothing on hot/dry? I normally wash everything on cold and air dry (most of my clothes are cotton or wool, I hate synthetic fabrics). Would it be ok to resume my normal clothing laundry (cold/air dry) soon? and keep doing bedding on hot? my blankets/sheets are all also 100% cotton and have shrunk a little with all this hot water/hot dryer action but not a big deal.

new curtains are en route to replace the ones I melted 😅....and also debating when it's safe to put them up.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
vacuumed, did our second spray 2 weeks later today. + all bedding and laundry on hot.

how long would you all think we should continue to do our clothing on hot/dry? I normally wash everything on cold and air dry (most of my clothes are cotton or wool, I hate synthetic fabrics). Would it be ok to resume my normal clothing laundry (cold/air dry) soon? and keep doing bedding on hot? my blankets/sheets are all also 100% cotton and have shrunk a little with all this hot water/hot dryer action but not a big deal.

new curtains are en route to replace the ones I melted 😅....and also debating when it's safe to put them up.
I think you can add a bit of white vinegar to the wash to kill them instead of the hot water? My mum used to add about a cup but I'm not sure what the size of wash was.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks!! yes I have been adding vinegar to my cold washes for delicates/wool :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t use vinegar with anything elastic. The elastic will lose its elasticity. I found that out the hard way using vinegar in my laundry. I have run shorts and boxers that no longer hold on to my waist and I haven’t lost that much weight. 🤦🏼‍♂️

You can probably let up on the hot laundry as long as you’re keeping up with the vacuuming. At this point, you’re hopefully just fighting the ones deep in the carpet that laundry and spraying missed. Heat and vibration will ask them to wake and hopefully wake inside the vacuum bag.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another thing you can use is 20 mule team borax. It kills fleas and IIRC, eggs.
If you have an high efficiency washing machine, don't run the borax through the tray. Just sprinkle a tablespoon or two directly on the laundry and wash as usual.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have 2 very old and small carpeted cat tree/scratchers covered in carpet I would like to get rid of...I've vacuumed, sprayed them, but I still don't feel good about donating them but I don't want to just take them to the dump. :confused: anyone have thoughts or ideas?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I have 2 very old and small carpeted cat tree/scratchers covered in carpet I would like to get rid of...I've vacuumed, sprayed them, but I still don't feel good about donating them but I don't want to just take them to the dump. :confused: anyone have thoughts or ideas?
Can always post to see if there's someone who wants to reupholster them with fresh carpet? On a Facebook group or Kijiji or something?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could call the shelters and explain the situation. I'm sure they have protocols they follow to make sure everything is ready to use, and I'm sure they would appreciate the donation as well as your honesty. :)

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks! I am going to look into these ideas and see what works. That's a good point iPappy iPappy - I'm not sure anyone would want to risk accepting them, but then, they may also have really good sanitation stuff on hand to use.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
thanks! I am going to look into these ideas and see what works. That's a good point iPappy iPappy - I'm not sure anyone would want to risk accepting them, but then, they may also have really good sanitation stuff on hand to use.
I'm sure someone somewhere has a cat or two who would like them. :) Most places like shelters (or thrift store, for that matter) have a really good sanitation routine to make sure everything is safe to use.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes exactly. Or someone who will reupholster them anyway will likely have space to quarantine items in their garage or a steamer.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No one seems to want them :lol: well, I tried!

Things with this situation are better. I'm hesitant to say fully better....because I don't want to jinx it. But I haven't been bitten in weeks.

I'm debating whether or not a 3rd spray is needed. I'm not sure it is but I don't want to take my foot off the gas too soon and end up back at square one again. Would you spray a 3rd time or leave it be?

The spray with IGR I used claims to last "7 months" which I find hard to believe. I'm wondering if a future reapplication in X number of months is warranted.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No one seems to want them :lol: well, I tried!

Things with this situation are better. I'm hesitant to say fully better....because I don't want to jinx it. But I haven't been bitten in weeks.

I'm debating whether or not a 3rd spray is needed. I'm not sure it is but I don't want to take my foot off the gas too soon and end up back at square one again. Would you spray a 3rd time or leave it be?

The spray with IGR I used claims to last "7 months" which I find hard to believe. I'm wondering if a future reapplication in X number of months is warranted.
If you're confident in the spray, I'd say use it once more and continue on and see what happens.
If you haven't been bitten in weeks, odds are you have this under control but I know sometimes if you let your guard down too soon, it comes back to bite you (no pun intended!)

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you haven't been bitten in weeks, odds are you have this under control but I know sometimes if you let your guard down too soon, it comes back to bite you (no pun intended!)
Haha yes, that was my thinking as well!! I definitely need to do the car a second time and I think I'll just do a third round on the house in case.