FIV

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Surprisingly, my older cat Jet has FIV. He came to me as a stray a few years ago, and I don't think I had him tested, but when he got blood work done two weeks ago, the vet told me that one of the things it checked for was FIV, and he is positive.
He has been doing fine other than having a chronic sneeze for periods of time and a slightly watery eye, but for two days, he has been really lethargic and would not eat much if anything yesterday or today. He was at the vet's today and they said he ate for them. He was just started on hyperthyroid medicine, so I thought maybe he was experiencing side effects from that. The vets seemed to think he was fine, but he is sleeping now.
I saw the new posts about the Solensia shot, and he has had three of those, I think. I thought he had done great on those. He has had bad arthritis, and I've noticed a big difference in his walking.
I'm just concerned about him now. The vet told me there is nothing they can do for his FIV that is not really expensive, and I think she was talking about a medicine they can give them. ? She suggested that I keep him on Fortiflora.

I've never had a cat with FIV before so suggestions are welcome. He is inside only.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
This might have some extra information,
Fiv In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

He was just started on hyperthyroid medicine
https://www.goodrx.com/pet-health/cat/methimazole-for-cats

Regarding stress, cat music might be helpful.

Fortiflora isn't a very strong probiotic, there is one I used, Fera Pre and Probiotics but I think it was actually too strong at 5 billion cfus. You might want to check with your vet if something a little stronger might be better? You could even try giving him some unflavored yogurt.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
This might have some extra information,
Fiv In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

https://www.goodrx.com/pet-health/cat/methimazole-for-cats

Regarding stress, cat music might be helpful.

Fortiflora isn't a very strong probiotic, there is one I used, Fera Pre and Probiotics but I think it was actually too strong at 5 billion cfus. You might want to check with your vet if something a little stronger might be better? You could even try giving him some unflavored yogurt.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats
You are always so helpful. Thank you!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat with FIV. She is still young and no issues which may well continue into old age. All you can really do is good care and get vet attention as soon as possible when he is ill which sounds like what you are doing already. We had an FIV cat here that lived to 15 before developing autoimmune anemia. One of the vets that used to be at the practice I go to had an FIV cat that lived to 17. Her cat had lost all of his teeth which is a common issue with some FIV cats. Otherwise he was healthy until he passed from old age.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A alana0011 , you are in the same boat as me.
I found out my cat was FIV at the age of 16. I had her tested when she was spayed and she tested negative.
At the age of 16 she had to undergo a heavy surgery and the clinic wanted a full health check beforehand and my cat tested positive.
Of course it was a surprise to me and I wondered why I never realized it. After she had been fine all her life, apart from three tumors which, my vet told me, were likely due to a weakened immune system.
Apart from these, she never had anything else. So I think that a FIV cat can have a long and healthy life.