FIV & Strays

PierceN'Griffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm new to the site, and new to FIV.

A few months ago I finally got my "holy grail" of ferals after a year trying. With the help of a great rescue, I was able to get him seen by a vet, neutered, his wounds were treated. Then the news came back that he tested positive for FIV.

When he was returned, I was able to hold him about 2 wks. He was undoubtedly miserable. I had to release him, but he stays right in front of my apt. Literally, on the porch. He has a shelter.

Over the last few months we brought him inside and let him bk out again. He does sometimes get aggressive but I think being feral his whole life, he doesn't know any other way. Plus not feeling good. He is often under the weather.

I started my research on ways I can help him. Ideally I would love to bring him indoors permanently but that is not an option at this time. Lately I've visibly noticed he is in pain. Walking. Eating. It is so heartbreaking.

I've purchased a few supplements and am hoping to get real time advice regarding these products, recommendations & other ways I can help him to be more comfortable. Also dosages & frequency because I've read conflicting doses from both yrs ago & what the bottle suggests.

Here is a list of my current purchases:
1. NHV Felimm
2. Solid Gold Seameal for Cats
3. Fera Organic Pro/Prebiotic
4. NOW Pet Health l-Lysine Powder

This is my buddy, Archie.
20220220_121901.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep doing what you are doing. He may have some arthritis. If that's so, Cosequin or something like it may help his mobility. I know how heartbreaking working with ferals can be. You just...do what you can, and pray a lot. My heart with yours.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you so much for helping this boy. He is a lovely guy and orange boys are my favorites. You are really fighting the good fight for this cat and I have been in very similar positions with my ferals from time to time.

Cosequin may help and if you are about to ask your vet about giving him a prescription pain killer that is another option. It can be tricky with ferals as you have to be sure that they get it; some vets do not like to prescribe any meds to be administered to an outdoor cat either.

You can see from the pic that he loves you. In the long run, if you can get him inside, that would be the gold standard. If you cannot, you are certainly on top of his care.

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the cosequin idea. It has helped 2 of my 5. One 80mg capsule sprinkled on top of wet food to help one with thin bones, 2 capsules on a larger cat with arthritis. A bottle of 80 is about $16 - $20, that should be enough to start seeing results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PierceN'Griffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. What about dosing of l-lysine? The bottle says 1/8 teaspoon twice a week, but I've read from people treating FIV+ cats 1/8-1/4 tsp everyday.

Also, can I give all the supplements I've listed together? Forgot to include salmon oil too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PierceN'Griffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you so much for helping this boy. He is a lovely guy and orange boys are my favorites. You are really fighting the good fight for this cat and I have been in very similar positions with my ferals from time to time.

Cosequin may help and if you are about to ask your vet about giving him a prescription pain killer that is another option. It can be tricky with ferals as you have to be sure that they get it; some vets do not like to prescribe any meds to be administered to an outdoor cat either.

You can see from the pic that he loves you. In the long run, if you can get him inside, that would be the gold standard. If you cannot, you are certainly on top of his care.
Most vets won't see a feral where I live. Most vets also won't prescribe meds without seeing the cat.

What about the other supplements I've listed? Do you know if they can all be given together?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for helping him❤ The lysine should help, I think those supps should be ok together but ask your dvm. Try to find one who will treat him if possible. I hope you can get him inside.

My Merlin, also a ginger boy, actually bit me outside but was touchable. I took him in and now he is a big luv bug, indoor only. He had c diff and it took months to get him to normal poop. My Wizard was fiv + when I took him in, he lived to 20-22 😻 I think of him and miss him everyday, he was the sweetest, most gentle boy ever and totally devoted to me.

See Merlin and Quinn in pic.

6390124F-B80A-4AC3-8193-EB485892D059.jpeg

Last edited: