Fish Flavored Wet Food

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Im just wanting some input on something before I do this..I know ive read fish isnt good for cats cause of the Mercury...But im wondering if its ok to put fish flavors in my cats rotation...Meaning he wont be eating it every day..but it would be probably few times a aweek..In his rotation...Thinking of the Tiny Tiger..Inputs all Welcome

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do feed salmon in my rotation :) it's the only fish my Lydia likes! She gets it 1 to 2 times a week I'd guess.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two reasons I have against feeding fish flavored on the regular.

1. Fish is addictive and your cats may develop a preference that could make feeding other flavors in your rotation less successful.

2. I used fish flavored foods to get Krista through pancreatitis precisely because they were more compelling than anything else. When she didn't feel much like eating, I could get her to eat half a pouch or can of a Tiki Cat flavor. If I fed those on the regular, I would lose my nuclear option to restart her eating when all other foods fail us. I have also gotten her to take a course of antibiotics mixed with Tiki. Because she never has it otherwise, the appeal was greater than the dislike for the medicine.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rotate fish flavors with my two about twice a week usually Friskies pate or a Fancy Feast type pate style, I do try to limit the fish intake because one of mine REALLY likes fish, but thankfully his favourite is Poultry Platter from Friskes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding only seafood is bad. But an occasional meal or just as a topper is fine.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A whole lot of wet foods have fish in them anyway but they are either not listed or listed as in small amount. e.g. In Europe at least they usually do category labeling and if it's like turkey wet food for example, they say 10% turkey but they don't mention the, say, "10% mixed fish." They tell you sometimes if you ask the brands though, or we can smell it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Two reasons I have against feeding fish flavored on the regular.

1. Fish is addictive and your cats may develop a preference that could make feeding other flavors in your rotation less successful.

2. I used fish flavored foods to get Krista through pancreatitis precisely because they were more compelling than anything else. When she didn't feel much like eating, I could get her to eat half a pouch or can of a Tiki Cat flavor. If I fed those on the regular, I would lose my nuclear option to restart her eating when all other foods fail us. I have also gotten her to take a course of antibiotics mixed with Tiki. Because she never has it otherwise, the appeal was greater than the dislike for the medicine.
I see..Use fish as a NEED food when meds are needed n they wont take them with nothing else..or they are SICK n WONT eat nothing...Thanks