First time taking care of feral/stray, could use advice

ripred42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've never actually had a cat of my own before, although my girlfriend has a cat and I've had many friends and family growing up who had cats. Long story short, I ended up taking stewardship of a cat. The cat was found in a chicken coop and got beat up a bit by the farmers cat, running away but returning quickly to get trapped. The cat's origins are a complete mystery. The farmer seemed to think it was a stray. The Vet seemed to think he was a feral. I felt bad for the guy, so I named him Scrimshaw, because he is either a flame point balinese or siamese and has the same color palette as a whale tooth.

My first big question that I could use some help with: is he likely feral or a traumatized stray. He was found on a farm, but I live in a rural area and the farm is literally right next door to the county humane society. This, combined with the fact he's a beautiful 'designer' cat leads me to suspect the possibility he was dumped as the humane society is over capacity and not taking any new cats. He uses the litter box I set out for him (I set two, but he uses one), and has never peed or pooped outside the box. He also does not display any aggression and only ever hisses when he starts getting picked up (only did this twice out of necessity). He is extremely scared, and won't come out of his hiding spot (his carrier) when I'm in the room.

I've had him for 9 days now. The first day seemed to go okay... at first. Once I got him back, I set him up in my bathroom (pretty good size) with some towels and shirts to get his scent on and took the lid off the kitty carrier. He sometimes would be hiding, but I also came in and he was just sitting on the middle of the floor and didn't move when we came in. Because he was so dirty, my girlfriend and I thought he needed a bath, especially for fleas, but when we tried to get him in the bath, he got spooked and freaked and ran. We were trying to coax him into the bath and he ran up and around and jumped up onto the shower road to escape but slipped off and landed in the tub just sitting there. I knew he must be terrified but he really needed some cleaning so we mixed some dawn dish soap and water and poured it on him from a small cup. At the end of this ordeal I wrapped him up in a robe to dry him and put him back in his bed.

I thought it was all over and the cat would never forgive me, especially because the next morning I had to take him to the vet to get neutered, vaccinated and tested. Finally once I got him back home, I made him a little shelf space to rest on with a towel which he gladly occupied. The next day I got him a cat tree, and came in finding him laying on the top of the tree, as well as the middle and didn't move or try to run away when I entered and came close. It seemed like everything was alright, and I gave him some short pets under his chin which he semed to enjoy, even partially closing his eyes. I wanted to give him some more places to hang out, so I put the top back on his carrier which was on the floor. He still preferred the cat tree for the rest of that day. But the next morning, I found him curled up in the carrier, which has been his home for the past 5 days.

He comes out at night and when I am quiet. I have a pet camera so I watch him explore and rub his scent into my bathmat and lay around. But he always goes back to this carrier after sometime, even when he is alone. I have been doing timed meals 7am/7pm recently, so that he associates me directly with food. I lie on the floor within arms reach of the carrier and put the food dish at the very front of his carrier. After 5 minutes, he goes to eat it. He still seems quite wide eyed most of the time I enter the room though.

Wow, this was way longer than I meant, so if anyone actually gets through this whole thing and offers advice, I will be over the moon.

Did I seriously mess things up, or am I doing okay? I at least take hope in the fact he is able to eat with me laying very close (albeit tentatively).

I am thinking about taking the top of the carrier off and leaving it off at some point. On one hand, I am happy it's his safe space and don't want to intrude. On the other, I have a wool cat cave and and a tree with a raised cave so he would still have a safe space to go, but would be forced out of his carrier space. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I just be patient.

Also, is this cat even worth raising, or is it a feral cat that is being made miserable by by attempts to domesticate it? If he is truly a traumatized stray I want to give him the best new home and all the time he needs to acclimate. But if he is really feral and doesn't want be stuck here, should I turn him lose since he is at least neutered and vaccinated now? Feeling a bit out of my depth.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job rescuing him! In He is much safer now. No,he is not feral. I rescued a scared cat. Under my couch 3 months,bedroom a year,than came out on her own. She is much happier now and afraid of the outdoors. Outside,he could get run over,bitten,infected,uri,and so on

Last edited:

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing fine. Great, in fact! It's good of you to rescue this cat. Sounds like he'll be a wonderful companion, once he gets used to you and living inside. At this point, it really doesn't matter whether he was a feral or a stray.... he's a cat with a home now. (Actually, he's clearly not feral or he wouldn't allow you to touch him so soon.)

I brought a former stray inside last winter, and he used a cat carrier as his safe place for a couple of months. That made it very easy when it was time to take him to the vet. All I had to do was close the door of the carrier and off we went. He still naps in it once in a while.

It is important that he have a place where he feels safe. Whatever spot he settles on, try not to bother him when he's there.

A warning about those cat pods/caves... a foster cat I had was so shy, she hid in one other those woolen pods all the time. She ended up with a yeast infection in her ears, which I blamed on the warmth, humidity, and lack of ventilation in the pod. I'm sure they're fine if they're just used once in a while.

Btw, topical flea medication is much easier to use, and more effective, than bathing an adult cat.

Have fun with your new kitty!

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Forgot to say.... your kitty might enjoy some cat music. David Teie's Music for Cats is very nice... available on YouTube and Amazon Prime. There's also purring videos on YT that some nervous cats find soothing.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Did I seriously mess things up, or am I doing okay? I at least take hope in the fact he is able to eat with me laying very close (albeit tentatively).
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

First, we thank you for taking Scrimshaw in and for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life :clapcat:
3f15cc28ca9f653f7e140df189cb3448.gif

Secondly, both of you are doing great and you are doing all the right things for Scrimshaw to be comfortable and Scrimshaw knows that he is being loved and is also displaying his confidence and coming out and staying on the cat tree and also using the litterbox.

For the part of getting his scent, it is also important that he has your scents too. You can leave some clean, unwashed non perfumed garments with him so that he can get use to your scents.

All cats need a safe place e and right now, Scrimshaw's safe place is in the carrier. Leave it in room for him for that he can retreat into it any time he wishes.

Give him time to explore the sights and sounds of the room and later the rest of the house. Just make sure the house is cat safe and there's no escape route.
Do not rush him but let him take his steps on his own time. Let him settle down more and also play and visit more often. Let him get over the past and realize that this is where he gets all the love and attention and also knows that this is his home.

In the meanwhile, I think you've done great and so has Scrimshaw. Yes, he deserved to be loved. Please get him neutered and give him lots of love as a traumatized cat, he needs love of it.

The other thing is he is not a true feral or maybe not even a feral. He was domesticated before and just that he was not treated right else you'll not see such good behavior when he in in your house. Please, please, do not let him out again. he needs love and he needs to be strictly indoor I can see that he will make a wonderful house cat.

Give him time to adjust and also please show us photos of Scrimshaw :camera::camera::camera:

Do keep us updated of the progress and we'll try our best to guide you through this. Don't give up!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi R ripred42
Welcome to TCS and thank you for welcoming Scrimshaw into your home

Nope,certainly not feral,not semi feral either -hes a stray and probably stray for a while.... ferals are never dirty,you don't see them and the bathtub ordeal likely would've landed you in the ER!But that's over now and you are going to do just fine but you must be patient..... let Scrimshaw move at his pace,let him get comfortable and familiar with his new forever home..... it is forever,right? So what's a couple of months compared to his lifetime with you🩷
Who knows what he's been through and what experiences he's had with humans-give him his space,stay near as he is comfortable with and just sit,talk- no need to outstretch your arms whioe hes eating because it's better he approaches you and as he does you can extend a relaxed fist a little further & further until he is coming to you......

Try less eye contact,your body language communicates to him whether or not you pose any threat- partially squint your eyes,slow blink,look away- in time you'll see him blink back at you-it is acceptance

So you are doing well,just slow it down some and I would not advise you take the top off his carrier-let him have his safe space---- judging by his already great disposition and temperament he will come out during the day time as he is ready- he's familiarizing himself with his new territory by exploring at night- that's all good stuff!

gralan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The sing-song old Western music "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" kind of stuff, worked on the farm with a corraled horse or cow awaiting the vet, and we did the same with Public television (talking and kid shows) with our cats when we had to go away for 4 days. We have an audiobook playing in our bedroom during the day, and often we'll find all the cats on our bed sacked out.

We are pet people, rescue even with my wife's service cat, and now are trying to keep a newborn that is about 9 days old; that's a new one for us. It was a gift from a homeless guy, on a very hot day here in Texas. What could we say? We are pleased to help the kitten.

It is admirable what you are doing, and the advice in the thread is just great. Woo Hoo!
We are owned by cats, but they let us manage most things for them. 27 years and counting.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what I read on the OP, it sounds like your doing everything correct to me....strays take their own time adjusting, don't rush him, he needs time to adjust to a new world...If he likes the "carrier" for now, let him get comfort from it, spending time on the floor next to him is of a help too, it builds trust and from what I've learned about caring for starys, it's all about time and trust AND it has to be on the cat's clock.....................