First Time Raising An Orphaned Kitten Help

Robert405

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To give a little background, nearly four weeks ago, my cat gave birth to one kitten. It was her second time giving birth to a kitten. However, she was hit by a car a day later, and I had to take in the then one-day old kitten.

Since then, I've been feeding her with some war fresh milk with a syringe over the weeks, and she quickly gained weight from the feeding. I made sure to give her a nice bed, and was stroked regularly to give her warmth. I would feed her two to three times a day, and she would be fed around 10mL of every feeding time. She quickly grew and started to explore her surroundings. I noticed she went to places where my family is usually in.

Recently though, I have been having difficulties with her defecating. First, her feces has turned watery and slightly greenish brown. She would defecate on the floor. She even used her lemon-scented litter as her bed instead, and never did her business there. How do I train her to defecate on her litter box, instead of all over the floor?

Aside from that, I keep her mostly as an indoor cat. Is it safe to declaw her? What are her other needs that need to be addressed as she develops?

Feedback will be greatly appreciated. Advice is welcomed as well. It's my first time raising an orphaned kitten, and I want to help the kitten grow into a healthy adult cat someday.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. Thank you for caring for her kitten.

Regarding the watery stools, I would advise you to take her to the vet to get that checked out. She might have intestinal parasites or something.

This article explains litter box training for kittens: How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

I would stay away from the scented litters. Cats’ sense of smell is much stronger than our own, so even if scented litter smells good to us, the smell can be overpowering for cats.

Finally, please don’t declaw your kitten. Declawing (or onychectomy) is not just the removal of the claws. Rather, it is the amputation of each digit at the first joint (the equivalent of the first knuckle in a human), that is, the amputation of P3 at P2. Cats are digitigrade, meaning they walk on their toes. Once cats are declawed, they have to shift their weight back to their wrists (carpal hyperextension), leading to early onset osteoarthritis. Onychectomy also leads to behavioral issues including inappropriate elimination and increased biting. Cats can be easily trained to use a scratching post. Regular nail trims will greatly reduce any damage from scratching. Claw caps, like soft paws, are another option. I’ll attach some articles with more information.

https://littlebigcat.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ADAH-2018.pdf

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/commentary-it-s-time-veterinarians-stop-mutilating-cats-feet

Declawing - More Than Just A Manicure

Why Cats Should Not Be Declawed

A Personal Look At Declawing

Declawing And Alternatives

How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for taking such good care of this kitten!! And, so sorry about the mama.

I would keep her as a strictly indoor cat, especially since she is so young. If she has been outdoors, she could have contracted parasites that way - or if not, she could have gotten them from her mama. So abyeb abyeb is right about the vet visit to have her feces tested for parasites - as well as bacteria or viruses. If there are parasites or some form of bacteria, then once that is treated, she might then use the litter box appropriately.

It is also a good idea at this point to use non-clumping litter in case she is eating any of it. The non-clumping litter is less harmful, and less likely to cause digestive issues, in case that might be playing a role in her stool.

You might also want to make her a covered bed to lay in, and if you have a cover to the litter box remove it so it doesn't seem as much like a hiding/sleeping spot.

Keep us posted!!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding her cow's milk? Is that what you mean by "fresh milk"? If so, that's probably contributing to her poop problems. Cats don't process lactose well, and cow's milk is full of it. You should find Kitten Milk Replacement at a pet store and/or full-fat goat's milk.

There's a special litter called Kitten Attract that may help her learn to use the litter box, but she's still very young, so it'll be a while before she's trained. And make sure the sides of the box are very short.

Also, yes, please do NOT declaw her. Most vets won't even do it anymore because it has been widely recognized as cruel and unnecessary. I know it used to be in fashion, but the veterinary community is no longer in favor. It's incredibly painful to the cat and can lead to a variety of behavioral issues.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is the kitten now, and what exactly is she eating? How much and how often?