First time cat owner - stiffness/limp in hind leg - has anyone ever had anything similar?

emma7011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all :)
I was just wondering whether anyone had encountered a similar limp to my new cat (video below) and what came of it?

2 weeks ago I adopted a 4 year old neutered boy from a local shelter. He'd been seen by vets before he was rehomed to us and had been given the all-clear.

In the first week he was sprinting through our house and on a few occasions bashed into walls or skidded over on his side. I noticed he had a slight limp/stiffness in one of his hind legs last Monday, and assumed it was due to this. It didn't clear up over the next few days so I got the vet round to check him out. She said nothing was broken, he did have tenderness in one leg when she touched it, and she also felt "clicking" in his knees. Said it was probably a small soft tissue injury. He was given a 4 day course of Loxicom (metacam?), which he's taken, but I can't see it's made any difference. It's now a week on from when I first noticed the limp and I can't see that it's gotten any better.
Since we got him we commented on how heavy footed he is. We didn't previously notice a limp/stiffness but we also weren't looking for it - so I don't know if this is potentially an ongoing joint issue?

He still plays/sprints/jumps/eats etc etc completely fine, he just seems especially stiff when he first wakes up.

I don't know whether to wait it out and see if it resolves, as it doesn't seem to be causing him any issues, or whether to send him for x-rays etc? I've been researching joint supplements to give him.

Very stressed out about it all as a first time cat owner!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I haven't encountered that specifically, but the video would make it seem like it might be his hip joint, but could just as well be the knee. The Loxicom (metacam) is for pain and inflammation, so it might be that he needs a longer course of at least the anti-inflammatory.

It sounds like this was an in home visit? If not, then I am surprised that x-rays weren't done unless you didn't want to pursue that aspect. At this point, I would call the vet and tell them what is going on - maybe even share the video - and see if they would think x-rays are in order. They should show if there is joint inflammation and the extent of it. He's young, so I would get the x-rays done before automatically going to joint supplements (although, they probably can't hurt anything). Anything is possible about some previous injury that he has aggravated, especially if you don't know his history.

With his mobility, what ever is behind it, I would strongly consider some rugs/runners in the areas where he has had some of his 'bashing' and 'skidding' accidents.

That's MO - hopefully other members will come along soon and offer their thoughts!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
The "stiff when he first wakes up" part would signal a bit of early arthritis, or even he just sleeps wrong sometimes. Glucosamine (which can come in all types of forms, food additives, treats, etc) is good in helping to relieve joint stiffness and in some cases, even pain. I'd still follow up with a vet, but I'd look into joint treats as a possible solution as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emma7011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I haven't encountered that specifically, but the video would make it seem like it might be his hip joint, but could just as well be the knee. The Loxicom (metacam) is for pain and inflammation, so it might be that he needs a longer course of at least the anti-inflammatory.

It sounds like this was an in home visit? If not, then I am surprised that x-rays weren't done unless you didn't want to pursue that aspect. At this point, I would call the vet and tell them what is going on - maybe even share the video - and see if they would think x-rays are in order. They should show if there is joint inflammation and the extent of it. He's young, so I would get the x-rays done before automatically going to joint supplements (although, they probably can't hurt anything). Anything is possible about some previous injury that he has aggravated, especially if you don't know his history.

With his mobility, what ever is behind it, I would strongly consider some rugs/runners in the areas where he has had some of his 'bashing' and 'skidding' accidents.

That's MO - hopefully other members will come along soon and offer their thoughts!
Thank you for your response!!

It was a home visit. The vet did suggest that if it was an ongoing issue we could possibly look at booking him in for an x-ray, but wasn't clear on how long should constitute an ongoing issue. She was pretty laid back about it so I felt I was maybe just being too paranoid as a first time owner to push for an x-ray at the time. Will definitely give them a call now though to see what they say. I was hoping the Loxicom would sort him out but doesn't seem to have made any difference..

I did buy some runners over the weekend, so fingers crossed he'll have no more issues in that respect!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have an older feral outside, oddly a black and white boy, who walks the same way. He is not able to be handled but when I observe him, it appears to be a hip issue. It comes and goes and I assume that he probably jumps or does something which makes it tender for a while. If I were you, I would get the xray for your boy. It is so cute how he walks next to you.