First Time Cat Owner... Hi

Fiain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, there.

I've been planning on adopting kitties since I got my own apartment in July after moving across the country. Well, ok. First it was a puppy, then kittens... then I realized that adults would likely suit me better. I'm a first year PhD student.

I was going to adopt from a friend, but she hadn't yet decided if she could part with her kitties (understandably!) and wished me luck yesterday finding the right ones for me, so... another friend and I went looking.

And Mercury and Erlenmeyer were the first two at the shelter that I saw (I did see some at pet stores earlier that I didn't fall in love with as much.) The volunteers there talked with me and we decided that these two would be a good fit for me. A bonded pair, 3 y/o - no major behavioral problems noted at the foster, both take a while to really settle in to a place but are friendly and sweet once they do. Both were sweethearts at the shelter, albeit timid and frightened.

So tonights their second night home. I'd be lying if I said I haven't cried and been overwhelmed and questioned whether I did the right thing - I have an anxiety disorder and got these two to try and help - they've only made it worse so far but... It's been 24 hours. I'm gonna hang in there a few weeks at least. Mer, the grey female, has been so clingy and hates when I leave the room she's in, but she's so friendly and cuddly when I'm around (She couldn't stand when I went to the bathroom yesterday... today seems a slight bit better but she panicked when I went to bed last night and didn't let me sleep, so we'll see how this goes). Erl doesn't wanna be pet, yet, but he's sat near me. So progress. I just... I don't want to let them down, and I wanna sleep, hah.

Anyways... Hi. This forum has gotten me through today with the posts on 'buyers regret' with adoptions and I'm praying that feeling will past and I'll think back and wonder how I ever managed without them. I wanted to join and say hi, though, considering that there seems to be so many nice people here and so much knowledge. I've been raised with cats but these are my first two that I haven't had my parents to help me with.

So... Hi! I hope your new year is going well so far! (I'm adding a picture of them both. Erl is the larger orange male, Mer is the grey female)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Yes, as you mentioned, time is your friend. You have them with you now and other than clinging, I think you're doing REALLY well.
I don't have a lot of thoughts about how to increase her confidence other than to play with her, and to provide her with ways to get up high - that seems to matter with cats.

For some other things;

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fiain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom - I will definitely try the music tomorrow. Mur will hopefully like that! Thank you for the suggestion :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad to hear you have found the site helpful and supportive. Thank you for adopting Erl and Mer. :thanks:There are many knowledgeable members, resources and articles to assist you with your new cats. Speaking of Articles here is one that discusses bringing a new cat home:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
Your two cats are adorable. :cutecat: Please feel free to share pics here:
Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! And congratulations on your new kitties! You are in a terrific place to learn about cat care; we have so many knowledgeable cat lovers around here, and tons of super helpful articles.

See you around! :wave3:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
fd7445a8082591feec2da4bf0c2396de.gif
Fiain, Mercury and Erienmeyer, onnbehalf of The Catsite community, a warm
images.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting Mercury and Erienmeyer and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the adoption of Erl and Mer. :bouquet: In time, I'm sure you'll wonder how you ever lived without them in your life. :catlove:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Your kitties are lovely! :redheartpump: Cats can take a while. When they get settled into your home, you will wonder how you got along without them!

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site! And both your kitties are beautiful :catrub:
I feel as if wondering if taking on the responsibility of a cat was the right thing to do is something that a lot of people might question at first, no matter how much preperation was done before welcoming the new arrival. I know that I was very overwhelmed when I first took Antonio home, and I thought that I was the only one, until I had spoken to other people with similar first reactions.
For me, time and getting to know my new furrends made those feelings disappear, and I'm confidently hoping the same will happen for you!
Hang in there :goldstar: