First time caring for stray mama - advice and questions

Marley401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I am new to cats in general but a few months ago a stray/outside mama cat brought me her ~6 month old kitten who’s now fully adopted me :) now I’ve taken in the (unfortunately) pregnant mama cat as well. She gave birth to 5 kittens last night (3/16) in the box I prepared for her. The kittens seem well, all are latching on and seem to be eating and mama has been eating, drinking (some), and using the litter box.
But, she’s had some nasty diarrhea/loose stools tonight, like I heard it come out of her from two rooms away. Is this relatively normal ~24-36 hrs post birth?
She also has been laying outside of the birthing nest a few times today, leaving the kittens alone. Not far from the box but still not with the kittens. It is rather warm in the room (maybe 80 deg F), so maybe she’s hot?

I also weighed the kittens this evening and there’s about 20g range between them. Is this normal enough? I did not weigh before today as I didn’t have a scale.
Thank you for any help!!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if she ate all the placentas she will have diarrhea. Plus her hormones are in high gear. This will clear up soon.

Kittens look healthy and some are always bigger than others, especially with five. You’ll likely have a runt or two who will eventually catch up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marley401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you, that is comforting to know!!
What about the mama laying outside of the box on her own sometimes, should I worry about that? She’s definitely aware of what’s going on and came back right away when I started trying to weigh the kittens. And the kittens are sleeping quietly.

Marley401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These kittens (5) are now 10 days old and all have been gaining weight consistently (over 10g/day) and seem to be thriving. Their eyes started opening yesterday, and one seemed to be trying to walk!!

They are still in the same nest box where they were born (I have changed the bedding). Last night the temperature in my area went down to the upper 30s, and my apartment isn’t well insulated so it gets cool quickly. I had the heat on, but this morning it was still just 60degrees inside and the floor was cold, so I put a heating pad on low in the nest box (just one side).
Well, mama cat was making lots of noise so I went to check on her and found her moving the kittens. She took them to the far corner under a bed, where there is nothing soft or warm and the floor must be very cold.
I was able to grab two and bring them back to the nest but she immediately moved them back and became defensive. She has been easy going up til now, allowing me to weigh the kittens daily and sit near the nest to check on them.
I am SO WORRIED about them under this bed where it is cold and without something soft to lie on and insulate them.

what do I do?? Why is mama doing this all of a sudden? (I am guessing she didn’t like the heating pad since that’s all that changed)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See if you can get a blanket under the bed and perhaps they will migrate to it. Otherwise, maybe run an electric ceramic space heater in the room to add warmth.

Marley401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i made another nesting box and put it near the bed they’re under, but mama seems angry that I even tried to walk through the general area. I’m afraid she’ll attack me if I get close enough to get blankets under the bed.
do you think this is all because she didn’t like the heating pad? Or could something be wrong with mama or the kittens?
She is staying with them (except when I walk by), so at least she didn’t abandon them under there. It just seems so drastic and sudden, especially how angry and defensive she is behaving. Could she be hypocalcemic?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is just in uber protective mode. It may be the heating pad that threw her off. Things should be fine. Do consider plugging in a heater in a corner of the room though. It will really warm things up without disturbing mom. The kittens will begin exploring around the 3-week mark and will emerge from under the bed.

Are you giving mom kitten formula to lap daily? That will pump up her calcium.

Marley401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put a blanket under the bed but the kittens are still just on the bare wood floor. It sounds like they are sort of struggling to nurse, as their little paws keep slipping and sliding on the floor without something to grip.
I am so worried about them being warm and able to eat enough. Mama cat has come out numerous times to interact with me, wanting pets and food and such, which makes me more worried about the babies being warm enough without her. (I ordered a heater, it won’t be in til tomorrow).
I know it’s probably wrong, but while mama was using the litter box I was able to grab two babies and put them in a new spot I set up for them, a nesting box inside a large bog crate with blankets over the top for privacy.
Mama came running and seems to have moved the two babies back to be with the others, HOWEVER, I only saw her make one trip. Could she have moved two babies at once??? I can’t find any sign of a left behind baby in the new box area, but I also can’t count how many babies are under the bed. I am just so worried that something is going to happen to them. They’ve been doing so well up til now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All you can do is hope all babies are with mom and nursing. Leave her be. Kittens tend to pile up for warmth. The heater you ordered will provide untold warmth. It should allay your fears once you get it and it is working. Trust that mom is doing her job nursing and keeping the kittens warm and go with it. Trust that mom knows what she’s doing for now. Unless she puts one baby out you’ve nothing to worry over yet.

Marley401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Thank you for the supportive guidance!!!

Marley401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Follow up questions:
These five babies are now 5 weeks old. Mama and babies all seem to be doing well. I’ve started putting gruel and wet food out near where the kittens congregate/sleep, and over a week or so they have gradually started taking to the food. The two biggest boys are the strongest eaters, 2 others also eat the food though just not as enthusiastically or for as long. However, the runt girl has not even tried either gruel or regular wet food yet, nor has she been willing to try lapping KMR from a dish. I have tried to get her to taste food and KMR from my finger numerous times but she won’t do it. I keep an eye on her to be sure she is at least nursing frequently, which she is (generally more often or sooner/for longer than the bigger babes).
I do feel worried for her though. Should I worry that the runt is the only babe who is not at least picking at food, while some others have been eating for over a week?
She often hides under the bed or in the nesting box (also under the bed) by herself while the others come out to eat and/or play.

Second question:
I am having to move to a new house this week and will be taking mama and babies with me. It will be about 1.5 hrs by car. Can anyone provide guidance on how best to accomplish this move? Particularly, what’s the best way to contain mama and 5 babies in the car?
I do have a standard sized hard-sided plastic cat carrier, and while I think everyone COULD fit in here, it would probably be pretty cozy in there without much room to move about. (Maybe this would be comforting though??)

Beyond that, any other tips for introducing this cat family to a new home would be great! I’ve ordered a ~60” covered playpen that I’m thinking of starting them out in while they get acclimated, I just worry mama won’t want to be cooped up like that.
thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They should be okay if you cannot get a larger carrier. It’s not a long trip.

I would confine them to one room for a few days while you get settled. Neither mom nor kittens will want to stay in the play pen. Save your money and just use a room.