First Time Caring For A Pregnant Cat

Princesscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I hope you can help me out, I have a 10 month old girl that is very heavily pregnant but the only thing is I am unsure on how far she is but she has been showing signs of wanting to hide so I have made her up a nice place in an xxl sized crate with bedding, litter, food, water and kitten milk and she is happy to be in there as long as she can see me, I have been sitting up for the last 3 nights watching her around the clock as I have noticed 2 days ago that she has milk that can be expressed, today her temp has dropped to 36.6c and been that all day when 2 days ago her temp was 37.2c and then tonight I have noticed a small amount of discharge on one of the puppy pads I have done in the crate, she is eating and drinking fine but having trouble keeping comfortable and sitting, she is mostly laying flat on her back. Would anyone please be able to shed some light on what I should expect please and when you think she will deliver. Thank you in advance for any advice
20170907_053402.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The exact hour is never easy to know. We know she is nearing and very near.
Had you felt after kitten movements? How long have you felt them? are they less moving now?
Has she "dropped"?

What is this kitten milk you mention? Its a kmr, or is it such a treat milk for cats?

The treat milk is harmless, but for example goats milk is cheaper and better.
Or a good kmr... More costly but good.

Some plain, full fat youghurt is OK to use, if she takes it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Princesscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been able to feel and see the kittens move now for almost 2 weeks, she has been hiding for a week so that's why I made up the crate for her and she is super happy to be in there. I have her on vet quality cat/kitten replacement formula (Sorry I don't know what kmr is as I am in Australia). Tonight all she wants to do is rub herself against my 14 year old daughter and have my daughter pat her, when she is patted she is putting which is not normally Princess, she keeps poking her bottom up in the air and flicking her tail when being patted. I will be getting Princess spayed after the kittens are fully weened.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be sure to keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males until she is spayed. She can get pregnant again pretty much any time after delivery.

Princesscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20170909_121742.jpg
My girl is heavily pregnant, she is wanting to lay on her back alot or on her tummy, she has had a small show, still eating and drinking Well, not making any sounds, loves the extra pats she can get and loves being in her crate with all her needs that I have set up for her but I am unable to tell if she is in early labour or not, kittens are moving lots and seem super happy, she isn't licking herself but she has started to bath a bit more than normal. Hopefully you can help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Prob its prelabor, she hasnt dropped yet so prob a few days more. Rub he tummy if she wants and allows.

Princesscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you, she does allow me to rub her belly so I do it a couple of times but I talk to her all the time telling her how proud of her I am and that she is doing a great job

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was there not too long ago. I found it was best to give her love when she wanted it and leave her be when she wanted to nap. Our poor girl liked her backside/back legs rubbed a little firmly massage style. It would make her sound like a tiny motor boat in my lap. Good luck with your little mama!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
kmr = kitten mothermilk replacement. Its prob what you already have, but with other wording. The most famous kmr is this made by PetAg with brand name KMR, in powder. But there are also other good brands.

To be complete: goats milk is a good alternative, if you cant get a good kmr, or find kmr its too costly.

I have been able to feel and see the kittens move now for almost 2 weeks, she has been hiding for a week so that's why I made up the crate for her and she is super happy to be in there. I have her on vet quality cat/kitten replacement formula (Sorry I don't know what kmr is as I am in Australia). Tonight all she wants to do is rub herself against my 14 year old daughter and have my daughter pat her, when she is patted she is putting which is not normally Princess, she keeps poking her bottom up in the air and flicking her tail when being patted. I will be getting Princess spayed after the kittens are fully weened.

Princesscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Princess update, we have 3 healthy little babies that were born at 10.35pm and 11.47pm on the 10-09-2017 and then the 12.07am on the 11-09-2017. Thank you everyone for your support