First spay

CleoNAURRr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi new to the site so not sure if this is the right place to ask but looking for some advice. My cats spay appointment is finally coming up and I’m super nervous about the after care, this is my first time having a cat that wasn’t spayed prior. She’s 10 months so she’s very active, loves running around, jumping and climbing so I’m reallly worried about her opening her stitches. Would it be inhumane to get a playpen for her at night to sleep? I don’t have a room without high surfaces to leave her in overnight so my options are limited. Appreciate any and all advice!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! Thank you for getting your kitty spayed. I often think that procedures are harder on us than our kitties. For aftercare, I always put my girls in a large wire dog crate with a little bed, litter box, and food and water. I drape it with a dark sheet or blanket to provide some shelter/safe space, especially if she's groggy. I usually just leave them in there overnight until the anesthesia wears off. After that, I let them out and just keep an eye on them. Kitties are pretty good at self-limiting when they hurt. She'll probably be more lethargic for a couple of days and sleep more than normal, but should spring back in a couple of days.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Or a bathroom with proper litter/box, food and water will do if you don't have that. We just make do with what we have. They typically heal real fast and well from this surgery. I've been through it several times and knock on wood, never had a problem.
Good luck to both of you!💗