First Meeting -- My Cat And My Girlfriend's Cat

thecaptain2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello --

First time poster. I have questions about the best way to attempt to socialize two cats that have never met but will soon be living under the same roof.

I live alone and have a cat -- a female calico Manx who has been spayed. The cat technically belongs to my son (birthday present several years ago) when he was living with me part-time, but he's now out of the house and starting college soon, so I'm the cat's fulltime caretaker. Simba is 5 years old. She's an indoor/outdoor cat -- she spends most of her days outdoors but I bring her in at night. On the few occasions I've seen her interact with other cats, it's been a mixture of reactions. There are times when she doesn't seem to mind the other cat, but there have been mild conflicts on other occasions -- nothing out of the ordinary.

My girlfriend and I will soon be moving in together. She has a cat as well. Her cat is strictly an indoors cat. Zooey is a female black shorthair who is also spayed. She's generally skittish around strangers. My interactions with her have been fine -- she doesn't particularly like it if I pet her or pick her up, but she tolerates me better than most people. She will approach me, sniff me, and will also sometimes engage in play with me, which is better than she reacts to most people. Understandably, she's closest to my girlfriend. As far as I know, Zooey has never encountered another cat, unless it was briefly at the vet's office. Speaking of the vet's office, I'm told by my girlfriend that Zooey has reacted very badly in the past to going in the car and going to the vet's office -- she "freaks out."

We're planning on moving in together, and it will likely be in a completely different location. At some point, we're going to have to introduce the cats to each other. I figure the best place to do it will be at the new residence (when we figure out where that will be) rather than on Zooey's turf or Simba's turf. Aside from that, I'd appreciate any advice that other cat owners may have about how best to go about the process of trying to get these two to live under the same roof without too much fur flying. I'm hoping that there are people on this board who have gone through the same process and can give me the benefit of their experience.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, I would consider trying to transition Simba into an indoor cat prior to the move, if only to lessen the chance of her getting lost in unfamiliar territory. This might only be temporary, but I'd hate for your next thread to be "HELP! MY CAT IS LOST!" This will help with the transition, whether temporary or permanent:

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

I figure the best place to do it will be at the new residence (when we figure out where that will be) rather than on Zooey's turf or Simba's turf.
You figure exactly right. Look, cats are creatures of routines and habits. The less upheaval in their lives, the happier they are. And, being the complex little beings that they are, there's a chance that if they got to know each other at one of the current residences, they would decide that they do NOT know each other at the new one. It's happened. However, there are things that you can do to make the introduction go far easier. I'm going to give you some more links here to excellent articles. They will explain it all far, far more clearly than I can! DO be aware that it can take weeks, even months, for a fully successful introduction. Be patient, and always remember that you can only go as fast as the most reluctant cat is willing to go!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

And a few more on moving with cats!

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (also works for old cat, new home)

Also, do provide THREE litter boxes in the new home, and spread them far apart enough that neither cat can guard that resource, and keep the other from using the box! The rule of thumb for boxes is, 1 for each cat, PLUS 1.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Everything Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, absolutely.
Also, here's this
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Also, let me post this, it's not a complete list but it gives a good starting point;
This is some info about calming products in case you need it, including for
going in the car and going to the vet's office -- she "freaks out."
There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry (diffusers, collars et al), Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers.
Some people have had good luck with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everything was included. The only thing I would add is this, be prepared for things to go _very_ slowly. Cats do NOT like change!!! So things need to go slowly. You can also switch the cats out (site swapping.) You let each cat have run of the house for half the day, while the other cat is locked in the cat room (your bedroom?) If need be you can put one cat in a carrier to switch them around. Your girlfriend can help with this. Keep the cats from seeing each other, when you switch. That way they both get to own the home, and they get used to each other's scent.

Jackson Galaxy’s 6 Steps to Properly Introduce Cats - iHeartCats.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecaptain2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, I would consider trying to transition Simba into an indoor cat prior to the move, if only to lessen the chance of her getting lost in unfamiliar territory. This might only be temporary, but I'd hate for your next thread to be "HELP! MY CAT IS LOST!" This will help with the transition, whether temporary or permanent:

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

You figure exactly right. Look, cats are creatures of routines and habits. The less upheaval in their lives, the happier they are. And, being the complex little beings that they are, there's a chance that if they got to know each other at one of the current residences, they would decide that they do NOT know each other at the new one. It's happened. However, there are things that you can do to make the introduction go far easier. I'm going to give you some more links here to excellent articles. They will explain it all far, far more clearly than I can! DO be aware that it can take weeks, even months, for a fully successful introduction. Be patient, and always remember that you can only go as fast as the most reluctant cat is willing to go!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

And a few more on moving with cats!

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (also works for old cat, new home)

Also, do provide THREE litter boxes in the new home, and spread them far apart enough that neither cat can guard that resource, and keep the other from using the box! The rule of thumb for boxes is, 1 for each cat, PLUS 1.
Thank you very much for the stellar advice and links. Very much appreciated. I have been through a few prior moves involving cats, so I definitely intended to try to transition Simba as much as possible to "indoors" before the move and then have her stay in the new house for a substantial period before letting her outside. She will hate it, as she loves to be outdoors, but we'll all have to deal with it. Thanks again.

thecaptain2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Everything Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, absolutely.
Also, here's this
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Also, let me post this, it's not a complete list but it gives a good starting point;
This is some info about calming products in case you need it, including for

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry (diffusers, collars et al), Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers.
Some people have had good luck with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?
Thank you for the great advice and links. I'll pass the information about calming products along to my girlfriend so that Zooey can hopefully get some relief.

thecaptain2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think everything was included. The only thing I would add is this, be prepared for things to go _very_ slowly. Cats do NOT like change!!! So things need to go slowly. You can also switch the cats out (site swapping.) You let each cat have run of the house for half the day, while the other cat is locked in the cat room (your bedroom?) If need be you can put one cat in a carrier to switch them around. Your girlfriend can help with this. Keep the cats from seeing each other, when you switch. That way they both get to own the home, and they get used to each other's scent.

Jackson Galaxy’s 6 Steps to Properly Introduce Cats - iHeartCats.com
Good idea about the site swapping. Thanks for the advice!