Fire Alarm..

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fire alarm went off in my apartment building this evening, around 7:30PM. I don't mess around with the possibility of an actual fire, so I grabbed the cat carrier out of the closet, and then Genever ran under the bed so AI really had to grab her and drag her out and shove her in the carrier, I admit I was a bit rough with her. You never know, I'm on the 10th floor, and I didn't want me or her to get stuck in smoke/flames!

We went downstairs and out, and the fire department came in a few minutes and shut the alarm off, they were actually pretty quick for once (unlike some power outage-caused alarms in the middle of the night a while ago). Then back up 10 flights of stairs with an 11-pound kitty in a bag on my shoulder...
Good exercise though, and way quicker than waiting for an elevator.

Anyway, my point is, Genever wasn't as cooperative as she had been in the past when we had alarms/drills. But I made sure we made it out. So.. just reminding my fellow cat people to be prepared, and maybe practice drills, shoving your kitties in carriers now and then.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was good practice for you all. I bet it shook you up quite a bit. I'm thankful there was no fire. And thanks for the reminder to all of us to practice our drill-drill-drill

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bet your kitty didn't like that!! I don't know what I would do if we had a fire... I have two mice, a tarantula, three kittens and a dog at the moment...luckily the dog can run loose, but I would never want to find out how quick I could get all my babies outside... geesh!

Thank goodness you didn't have a real fire!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job getting yourself and Genever out! I have two pop out carriers stashed right here in my living room. (they fold flat) One of them contains a plastic container with Tolly's phenobarbital and Mazy's cosequin, and pictures of each cat, their names, ages, special needs and my vet's address on the back of each.

I have practiced a time or two, but not in a long while, so thanks for the reminder. In a hurry I would just put all three cats in the one, and take the other with me, and sort them out after getting out safe. I would take them straight to my car. In my car I keep some food dishes, a covered flat smallish rubbermaid container with cat litter (porta-potty) and some of Mazy's c/d, which all three of them can eat in a pinch.