Fip Diagnosed...now What?

MisplacedAlaskan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our new kitten is now almost 4 months old, and has been acting lethargic for a little over a week. I also noticed that he seemed a little smaller than the average kittens his age in terms of body development. Now, in the last week, he has exhibited the following:

-weight loss. I can clearly feel his hip bones and spine
-abdomen is full of fluid. He looks pot bellied and his stomach is hard
-extremely lethargic, sleeping all day and no longer playing
-increased thirst
-dehydration
-fever of 104 that is persistent
-fur looks dull and unkempt
-his vision seems to have decreased a little
-he accidentally peed in my bed, which he has never done. It was clear that it was an accident and he wasn't spraying

We brought him to the vet yesterday. After examining fluid from his abdomen, she said she technically can't confirm FIP 100% but in her professional opinion it is what he has. She said based on his age and condition he *might* have a couple more weeks for quality of life.

Does anyone out there have experience with FIP? If so, should I get a second opinion? Do his symptoms sound like it's most definitely FIP?

I have two other cats in the house; one is a little over two and the other is one and a half years old. Our kitten has been with us since the end of July. Is it pointless to quarantine him? It seems like my cats obviously have come into contact with the virus already so it would feel pointless to me...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry for your kitty. As I understand it, a lot of cats contract the FIP virus in their early months; but, it generally stays dormant in their system and may become active when they are older and have a weaker immune system (just like humans). Perhaps there are other contributing factors as to why your little guy is succumbing to it at this early age.

My Tawny had it become active at 15. Since Tawny was a stray found at 6 months old, the vet said he figured Tawny had probably contracted it as a kitten. He pretty much got to the point of only eating tiny pieces of cheese - refused all other food. We catered to his every need, helping him to the litter box, and bringing water to him to drink. He pretty much stayed in one place, very lethargic. I don't recall there being any fever, but that doesn't mean he didn't have one. Obviously, he lost at least 3 pounds before we decided it was time to let him go.

He was my first cat, and I hated to lose him; so, I actually had the fluid in his belly drained 2-3 times to relieve some of his discomfort, and selfishly extend his life for me. Each time, it did help him feel better - before the fluid accumulated again.

I don't know how my vet knew for sure it was FIP, but that's what he said - without hesitation. Go ahead and get a second opinion, just to be sure. And, when you do, ask the vet about the other cats. Also, see if you can find out if there are other health issues that might have caused this virus to become active in such a little kitten, and what are the odds of it happening to your other two cats at their ages.

Caoimhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your kitten is not well. :( In your position, I would definitely take the kitten to another veterinarian for a second opinion, if only to be as certain as you possibly can. Unfortunately, FIP can't be a 100 % diagnosed while the cat is still alive (at least that is the last I've heard of it), but if multiple vets agree I would take their word for it.

I have not had experience of FIP myself, but I have read quite a lot about it since my last cat was confirmed to be a carrier of the corona virus. This is what I have understood from my reading:
It is the corona virus that, if mutated, causes FIP. The corona virus is quite common among cats. Most cats carry the virus for short time before the body gets rid of it. Some cats, however, become permanent carriers of it. Cats who live in a house with multiple cats generally infect each other, since they use the same litter box(es). Outside of the host, the virus should die within 6 weeks, but it is very sensitive to even mild detergents.

It is quite rare for the corona virus to mutate into FIP. When it does, however, the sick cat can't infect other cats with the FIP form of the virus. The corona virus can infect other cats, the FIP virus can not. In that sense, the other cats in your home should not necessarily run a higher risk of developing FIP than any other cat in their age who carries the corona virus.

From my understanding, it is more common for young cats (below the age of two, but especially kittens) to develop FIP, as well as old cats and/or cats with a weak immune system.

From my understanding, you probably don't have to worry too much that your other kitties will develop FIP as well (although I know how hard it is not to worry!). Of course, this is something you should discuss with your vet, as they have more knowledge on the matter and your specific case.

Once again, I am very sorry for your kitten. <3

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I'm glad you joined the forum but very sorry your kitten is showing signs of possible FIP. I went through this with our 3 yr. old cat so I can relate to what you're going through. :hugs: He was extremely lethargic with loss of appetite and fever. Our regular vet gave him intravenous fluids but he showed no improvement. When the vet diagnosed him with FIP I took him to a feline specialty vet. By that time he had developed additional health problems. It's been awhile since he passed away but I remember separating him from our other cat. I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion.

Here is a TCS Article about FIP in cats that I hope you find helpful:
Fip In Cats

Best of luck, my heart goes out to you. :hearthrob: Please keep us updated on your kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MisplacedAlaskan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sad news...our kitten didn't make it. We had to make the executive decision to put him down because he was suffering. He stopped eating and drinking on his own, so I was force feeding water, electrolytes, and chicken baby food, but he was skin and bone other than his potbelly full of fluid. The only time he moved was to use the litter box, but was getting a little wobbly getting in and out. The light began to fade from his eyes and we knew it was time. :bawling::bawling:

We are heartbroken. This was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I've helped so many sick cats/kittens in my life. FIP is infuriating and heartbreaking.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs: Unfortunately I understand the loss from FIP all too well and you're right, it's devastating beyond belief. If you would like to pay a tribute to your cherished kitten at some point you can do so here:
Crossing the Bridge

RIP sweet angel, run free from pain and suffering at the Bridge. :angel: