File his teeth down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louse76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just curious if it was possible to file a cat's teeth down so they wouldn't be as sharp. I have his claws under control with soft paws (rubber covers over his claws) but he still bites pretty hard when I get playing rough.

It might seem silly, but I figure since I got my teeth filed down at the dentist (front teeth were slightly jagged from chipping when I was a child) that it's gotta be possible for cats too.

One might think that it would be bad for their eating, but my cat only eats dry food, and aren't his canine teeth really the wrong kind of teeth to be eating that with anyhow? Would them being slightly more dull make it harder for him to eat? I would only seriously consider something like this if there were no ill side effects to my kitten!

And do you think them being a little more dull will really help? Is it just that he has really powerful jaws, or is it more of the sharpness of the teeth?

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that it would actually cause some major dental problems. Like with humans when we Grind our teeth it basicly files them down causeing nerve damage and trust me as a teeth grinder IT'S PAINFUL!!!!!!!! I don't know if it would effect the kitties the same way but I sure wouldn't try it. you might want to look into teaching him not to bite you when you are playing
I know my little guy Kitman is a biter when he plays but it's to the point now where everytime I go to pet him unless he is alseep he tries to (play) bite me. I think it would be best to juet to teach him that you won't play with him if he bites. But that's just my opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louse76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I know with humans there's a good amount you can file down, so I figure it would be the same way with cats. I'd probably never really do it, I'm really just pretty curious.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot imagine why you would want to do something like that to your cat if he doesn't need it for medical reasons.

From your cat's perspective, biting is completely normal, and it is simply a matter of retraining your cat that biting isn't OK. It's likely that the harder part is retraining yourself not to treat your hands as toys.

I really can't imagine that it would be OK for your cat - they are so prone to problems with their teeth and gums as it is, because let's face it - who actually brushes all their cats' teeth every week?

I don't know how old your cat is, but it is very easy to train kittens not to bite. Just like two or three-year olds, they will constantly try - but if you are consistent in not allowing them to associate biting with play, depending upon the cat it should only take a few days to a few weeks to break them of this habit.

It may take longer for older cats, but again, the process of retraining them is pretty much the same.

For older cats:

1) Do not ever play with your hands. Period. Always use a toy.

2) If your cat starts to bite during play, immediately drop the toy you are holding and make your hand go limp. Blow a puff of air in your cat's face.

That's it. They will learn that biting is not acceptable play.

For kittens, if they're just romping around and skip over and nip at our ankles or something, we keep lots of bendy straws handy. We just substitute a straw for the ankle they wanted. Same thing if we're in bed and they nip at our hands. If they drop the straw and persist in chasing the ankle or hand, then we give a puff of air in the face - and immediately give them the straw back (or play with them for a minutes with the straw). They generally learn very quickly that the straw is the toy, not the hand or ankle.

It works - but you have to be willing to teach your cat that hands are not toys. Just skip the straw with older cats and go directly to the puff of air (they're not teething).

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie is right, filing down a cat's teeth will prove painful for them, opens them up to infections and mouth disease and is an unneccessary action to take against a biting cat. She gives you wonderful ideas of how to redirect biting. Also if your cat has your hand and is biting it, the normal reaction is to pull away, don't. Instead gently push your hand further into the mouth, this disengages the teeth, startles the cat, and he opens his mouth wider and you can release your hand. If you are rubbing your cat's belly and he bites you. Don't rub his belly. Most cat's do not like this, and kittens are not used to it. Whatever is prompting this cat to bite you, figure it out and stop the activity. But please do not file the teeth down on your cat!

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
I agree with LDG and Hissy, If the cat bites do not play any more or do not pet them in that area. Some cats can become Over Stimulated really quick, so get to know your cat. Our older cat only likes to be petted on the top of his head, anywhere else he will bite you. Everyone know this, so you are own your own with him.
And as stated, Do not use your bodyparts as play toys, when you do you will have a cat that bites. Get those cat toys on strings or the sticks, or better yet you can make your own. Cats love to play with anything that moves
Clara

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't file the teeth down. When I am playing with my cats, if they start to bite, I "redirect" them to a toy. I really only have this problem with Amber, since she is still a kitten. She has a rope made from old socks, that she got a hold of and chewed to pieces
. Whe she starts to bite, which is never that hard, I put the socks by her mouth, so she can bite them. Also, I agree with Hissy about putting your finger further in their mouth. Amber will let go and usually licks my hand.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good one to know, MA. I haven't ever had the problem of adult cats biting, but working with ferals, you never know. That knowledge could come in handy some day.

Jessie6126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My problem is my cat has bitten me twice when I’m asleep. He’s bitten through the skin to cause bleeding. Last week after the first bite, I got sick that evening with a sore throat, swollen glands and headaches. I googled cat bites making you sick with an infection and YES, you can get VERY sick. I called my doctor the next morning and was told they didn’t have any openings that day but that I NEEDED to go to a walk in clinic. Wasn’t crazy about doing that in this Covid time, but was so relieved to find no one there and got right in! The doctor said people should automatically go to the doctor after a cat bite because the majority of the time, they get this infection. He said not with dogs, though. I’m on 10 days of antibiotics. I woke up again today to him biting me through the skin in two places. At least this time I got up, washed it and cleaned it well with hydrogen peroxide. My sister in law had surgery last week and in the preparing process, she mentioned her kitten had bitten her through the skin. The nurse said it might be reason not to have surgery! But the doctor wasn’t concerned because he was giving her mega antibiotics.

My point is-there’s no way to train a cat while I’m sleeping but really good reason to file the teeth down despite everything people say. I have serious health problems and don’t need this on top of it!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My problem is my cat has bitten me twice when I’m asleep. He’s bitten through the skin to cause bleeding. Last week after the first bite, I got sick that evening with a sore throat, swollen glands and headaches. I googled cat bites making you sick with an infection and YES, you can get VERY sick. I called my doctor the next morning and was told they didn’t have any openings that day but that I NEEDED to go to a walk in clinic. Wasn’t crazy about doing that in this Covid time, but was so relieved to find no one there and got right in! The doctor said people should automatically go to the doctor after a cat bite because the majority of the time, they get this infection. He said not with dogs, though. I’m on 10 days of antibiotics. I woke up again today to him biting me through the skin in two places. At least this time I got up, washed it and cleaned it well with hydrogen peroxide. My sister in law had surgery last week and in the preparing process, she mentioned her kitten had bitten her through the skin. The nurse said it might be reason not to have surgery! But the doctor wasn’t concerned because he was giving her mega antibiotics.

My point is-there’s no way to train a cat while I’m sleeping but really good reason to file the teeth down despite everything people say. I have serious health problems and don’t need this on top of it!
I am actually impressed that you resurrected a 17 year old thread lmao

Also to anyone who’s reading this in case it’s not clear, the solution to your cat biting is absolutely NOT filing their actual teeth down, what the heck? The solution is to figure out why your cat is biting and address that. If your cat bites you while you’re sleeping, kick them out of the bedroom at night. If your cat bites you when you pet them too much, listen to their body language and walk away before it gets to that point.

Last edited:

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Its not so much the sharpness of teeth that cause this. Its the pressure the cat puts into the bite. You can lightly touch something sharp ad it wont make you bleed.
Filing a cats tooth should never be done.
You arent sure where the nerve is and what the anatomy of the tooth is.
Close your bedroom door if the cat comes to you at night....

Reasonable0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t understand why people are so fanatical. It is perfectly safe to file the sharp tips of any animals teeth. It’s not cruel because it’s elective. It’s worse to have to euthanize or give away a cat because of a trivial thing. People who say you don’t know where the nerve is: what do you thing he’s going to shave them off 25%?! Lol it will only take a minimal amount. Remember you are the alpha. Cats are natural killers and fighters. They’re not stacking you because it’s cute. They are literally practicing murder. So take it easy, they don’t need the sharp teeth if they are an indoor only cat. They don’t need to kill you deliver their food and clean their poop. You deserve some peace in this relationship and shouldn’t have to sacrifice your health and safety for such a trivial thing.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t understand why people are so fanatical. It is perfectly safe to file the sharp tips of any animals teeth. It’s not cruel because it’s elective. It’s worse to have to euthanize or give away a cat because of a trivial thing. People who say you don’t know where the nerve is: what do you thing he’s going to shave them off 25%?! Lol it will only take a minimal amount. Remember you are the alpha. Cats are natural killers and fighters. They’re not stacking you because it’s cute. They are literally practicing murder. So take it easy, they don’t need the sharp teeth if they are an indoor only cat. They don’t need to kill you deliver their food and clean their poop. You deserve some peace in this relationship and shouldn’t have to sacrifice your health and safety for such a trivial thing.
“It’s not cruel because it’s elective”

I’m sorry, I know this is an ancient thread but I got a notification about this and I have to respond to this…

There is no logic in this statement whatsoever. First, it isn’t elective at all from the point of view of the creature the procedure is being done on. The cat isn’t choosing to have it done. Second, do you think that cutting off a cat’s healthy paw would be “not cruel” because you chose to do it? That makes no sense and it’s a little worrying to me that that’s your reasoning, just from an empathy standpoint.

Do not file your cat’s teeth. It can cause them more dental pain, doesn’t address the root cause of the behavior, and they can easily still hurt you.

Reasonable0ne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
“It’s not cruel because it’s elective”

I’m sorry, I know this is an ancient thread but I got a notification about this and I have to respond to this…

There is no logic in this statement whatsoever. First, it isn’t elective at all from the point of view of the creature the procedure is being done on. The cat isn’t choosing to have it done. Second, do you think that cutting off a cat’s healthy paw would be “not cruel” because you chose to do it? That makes no sense and it’s a little worrying to me that that’s your reasoning, just from an empathy standpoint.

Do not file your cat’s teeth. It can cause them more dental pain, doesn’t address the root cause of the behavior, and they can easily still hurt you.
the fact that you thinkpet cats have any choices is nonsense. They didn’t choose To be in the prison of your home. Or choose to poop in abox of your choice nor to be vaccinated, bathed fed food which isn’t good enough for you to eat. They are animals which we keep for our pleasure (you can justifythe delusion but it’s true) and no “you” should never file down its teeth.You should take it to a professionalwho can either grind a small bit placeing a crown like any other debris could on yourself or there Is the option to remove it entirely which is in my opinion unnecessary. Declawing is another topic entirely. But a little dental work will not harm it in any way. We are not traumatized from dental work. Don’t over think It:)

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the fact that you thinkpet cats have any choices is nonsense. They didn’t choose To be in the prison of your home. Or choose to poop in abox of your choice nor to be vaccinated, bathed fed food which isn’t good enough for you to eat. They are animals which we keep for our pleasure (you can justifythe delusion but it’s true) and no “you” should never file down its teeth.You should take it to a professionalwho can either grind a small bit placeing a crown like any other debris could on yourself or there Is the option to remove it entirely which is in my opinion unnecessary. Declawing is another topic entirely. But a little dental work will not harm it in any way. We are not traumatized from dental work. Don’t over think It:)
Like I said, this logic is a honestly concerning to me. The fact that a cat did not choose to be your pet does not mean that cutting their teeth off is incapable of hurting them. That’s completely illogical and pretty cruel.

If this thread were a person it would be old enough to vote by now so I’m not sure why you revived it in order to make this nonsensical argument but for the future, bringing random old posts back from the dead is generally frowned upon on forums unless you have a helpful update :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Whether cats approve or not is a point that takes us away from whether this is considered an ethical procedure.

This procedure, although not actually illegal in America, is frowned upon:

While the American Veterinary Dental College endorses “disarming” along with behavioral modification in selected cases, the American Veterinary Medical Association does not endorse “disarming” and only recommends behavioral counseling / modification.

In Canada I could not find the stance on this procedure for cats, but for dogs they are emphatic, and there is not reason to believe it would not be the same for felines:

The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) is strongly opposed to the practice of cutting teeth in dogs. In addition, the CVMA opposes the reduction or removal of dogs’ teeth for non-medical reasons.

I have never heard of it and so called my vet to ask (I'm in Australia). They were appalled, said they had never come across it (it's a veterinary hospital, large and popular) and would not consider the procedure.

This subject has been well discussed and the thread will now be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.