Fighting Or Playing? Introducing New Cat. Help

lexa333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so I just got a new 5 month old kitten, very playful and submissive when it comes to my older cat. My older cat who is 2 years old, has reacently been chasing after the kitten when we are having play time and then just stares at her. The kitten just stops in her tracks and lets my older cat walk away. I don’t know if this is a good thing or if I should try reintroduce them better. We haven’t what u call had a introducing time. We keep them both separated all through the day but bring them together in a big room to play. My older cat has stopped hissing as much and has began to try to sniff the kitten when she isn’t looking. Are these good signs or bad. Help

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Good signs. The older cat’s chase and stare may be to assert his dominance or to get a game started but the fact that he walks away instead of tackling or hissing at her and is starting to sniff her is great. And her stopping but not running to hide means she isnt all that intimidated by him. It may get louder and more physical as they get closer, and a few paw slaps will likely occur, but I think they will be playing in no time. I would keep doing what you have been doing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds very good to me! Some hissing, slapping and fur flying might occur later as was said above, but as long as there is no deep biting and blood drawn it is normal. Kittens need to be taught manners, they will be put into their place by any older cat, especially females who aren't as nice as the males. Walking away is very good, physical interaction will happen when they feel more comfortable. Watch for your kitten hiding, that means things are going too far. Good luck and have fun!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol playing looks very similar to fighting. so long as i dont see any fur or blood i dont worry. sometimes kitty will give elsa the stink eye, and slap her away from her. lol both of my cats allow the other to walk away. they also expose their bellies to each other. both good signs. a truly terrified cat would not show their back or their bellies to someone they consider an enemy.