Fighting Cats?

CrazyCatLady26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I hope you guys can help me with this because it's really been baffling to me. So here's whats been going on:

I have 2 cats, they are sisters and 5 years old. They usually get along very well. In fact, those two have always had a special bond with each other. Unfortunately, I started noticing this last December. I heard them getting into a really loud fight. They have had little spats with each other before but this was very different. Tessa is the instigator and will chase around Fiona (her sister) mercilessly. They don't injure each other, thankfully, but it was so out of character. These fights are not a usual occurrence. They will happen every now and then and after about a half hour they are friends again.

I honestly can't think of any reason why they are fighting. I have taken both Tessa and Fiona to the vet in the last few months and they have a clean bill of health so it's not a medical issue. Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Any insights of advice?

Thanks!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's natural for cats to fight, even from time to time. I don't think you should worry about it and I don't think this is something you'd need to see the vet over. :)
I'd think that most of it is play-fighting, even if it does seem like it's getting serious. Toffee and Fudge fight more often than Fiona and Tessa, though they are very close to one another and enjoy snuggling with each other (especially at night when they're sleeping - they're siblings like your two as well) and grooming each other. However, their play fighting can get very aggressive; involving kicking, hissing and growling; though there have been no occasions where they have harmed each other or minorly injured one another. Toffee normally starts the fights as he's just very playful and hyperactive and just wants to play around and get into a bit of mischief, though Fudge often turns them aggressive as he's more laid back and isn't often in the mood for fighting (he's a placid cat but will strike back when he doesn't want to deal with any of his brother's nonsense as he's the main hisser when it comes to fights).

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It common. What I think happens is that as they age one remains more playful than the other which then begins to be a source of irritation for the less playful cat. So one cat becomes an annoying pest at times to the other and slats ensue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrazyCatLady26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies :) I just feel so bad for Fiona because Tessa will just chase her all over the house and wont stop until I intervene. I suppose I should be thankful that this doesn't happen on an everyday basis. Tessa is a sweet cat but has a more aggressive (dare I say bitchy? lol) personality. Fiona is a very cautious, easily frightened cat. I will keep an eye on it but it does make me feel a little better that its not so unusual.