FIC Help

Nadine L.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
B started coming down with UTI symptoms over a year ago. After a few episodes of ER vet visits, then at the normal vet, B was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. She won't eat the recommended cat food. She loves Sheba. Vet gave me gabapentin pills and dasuquin pills. I tried mixing the dasuquin with her food but refuses to touch it, so I mix with water and give it to her orally. She's only been taking it for a week or so. Her FIC episodes are suddenly very frequent, like every weekend. Her blood tests are normal, no crystals, urine clear.
I don't see any obvious signs of stress. I give her a gabapentin pill when it starts and that helps. How long will it take for the dasuquin to work (if it does), and is there anything else I can try? Has anyone tried prozac? Would switching her food make a difference? She just so picky. Something is stressing her out, I guess, but she's always been nervous, frightens easily, doesn't like people. There don't appear to be any cats in the yard but maybe I don't see them. Could a squirrel sighting cause stress? She's an inside cat, 10 years old. I'm worried this won't get better and don't want to lose her. Thanks in advance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What is the dasuquin for - inflammation? It could take a while to find out if it is going to have any positive effect. Did the vet talk about other anti-inflammatories to try? Also, if you are giving her the pain meds or the supplement via syringe (you said orally?) - that unto itself can cause stress. How about trying to mix either of them with lickable treats - such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft, and/or Wholehearted. I use those to give Feeby her twice a day thyroid meds and she loves them. Even baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) work well for giving meds, as does canned tuna or chicken in water.

I am curious that she seems to have incidents on the weekends? What changes between weekdays and weekends that might be causing her additional stress?

Other things to try are cat calming products, Feliway diffusers, for example - but there other ones on the market you could also try. Not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment some. And, some members have had success using cat music to help relax their cats - Cat In My Arms on spotify and elsewhere, youtube has hours-long compilations of relaxing cat music, and there's also RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats. Cat trees/perches, as well as hiding spots are all things to help with entertaining and calming cats. You could also consider bird/squirrel videos for entertainment. Some cats love them and other cats seem to know they are not 'real, and could care less.

As far as food, most of the time the best thing to do is ensure FIC cats have access to plenty of water - so multiple bowls around the house, maybe even a water fountain or two. If your cat is eating canned food and getting plenty of water, I tend to think that is just as good if not better than any of the vet recommended foods.

I am sure other members will come along and offer their input soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadine L.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner,

Thank you for your reply! The dasuquin is a supplement for joint support like MSM, I think but has supposedly helped FIC cats. I agree with you, it's stressful giving it to her this way. I tried mixing a very tiny amount in her food and she won't take it. I'm open to trying other things, but she's smart and can smell it. She will even refuse to eat food that doesn't have it mixed in, if it's the same flavor that I last used to mix it with.

I'm not sure what is stressing her out to this point. Poor thing. The gabapentin works but it makes her a bit drunk. I just don't like to give it to her, but it seems to knock it out pretty quick. The next day she is much better.

I will try some things you suggested for calming her.

Thanks again!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She will even refuse to eat food that doesn't have it mixed in, if it's the same flavor that I last used to mix it with... The gabapentin works but it makes her a bit drunk.
That is why you should at least try the lickable treats, to see if they are 'yummy enough' to get her past the taste/smell. If nothing else, it would at least stop her from avoiding her regular foods.

And, can the gabapentin dose be reduced any? It should be enough to minimize the pain, but not so much as to drug her out.

Good luck and keep us posted!

EDIT: And ask the vet about other anti-inflammatory meds. They are probably going to work better than the Dasuquin from that aspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadine L.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I'm reading now!