FIC? Boredom? Temptations?

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I don’t think I’ve posted on here since Simon was a kitten and I’m sad that my first post back is going to be like this but just looking for any advice I can get.

On 12/18 Simon started repeatedly using his litter box only peeing a small drop or two at a time. Other than this he was acting like his usual sweet and trouble maker self, playing with his toys in between using the litter box. I woke up the morning after and he was still doing it, so I called the animal hospital and brought him in.

They did a bladder scan and said his bladder was empty, but we waited until they were able to get a urine sample. They said he had what looked like a start of an infection, but inflammation as well and the vet mentioned possible FIC. He was prescribed Onsior for 3 days for the inflammation and an antibiotic, I gave him the last dose of that Christmas night.

Everything seemed better a day or two into treatment up until Christmas night, he was peeing normal amounts/frequencies and now he is back to peeing a drop every few minutes in bouts at a time. Seems to be consistent in the morning and at night (wake up to him frequently going in and out of box, or fall asleep to that)

The vet mentioned that this could be brought on by stress and asked if we had new furniture, a new guest, or had done a remodel etc. all of which is NO.

A little background on him, he’s a otherwise healthy 4 year old. I have one other male cat who is 3, both of which I’ve had since they were very young. Both neutered, they get along quite well and often can be found grooming or napping together. They fight every so often but it’s never something that seems to cause either of them stress as they’re back to loving on each other shortly after. They play all day long, and both are trouble makers and into everything. We remodeled our entire house last winter at this time and that never caused this to happen either, so the idea of stress causing this seems unlikely to me?

I’ve been working from home for months now and he seems incredibly happy to have me home with him all day. Constantly seeking affection or bringing me toys when he’s not playing with his brother, I play with him as much as I can but it’s hard to consistently play fetch with a cat who just wants to chase and not bring back when you’re on a zoom call lol.

With that being said, I have two theories that I’d like any input you may have on. One is that this FIC is brought on entirely by boredom, I say this as he is always hyper, and if I get a toy out or if his brother starts playing nearby with a toy in between his frequent peeing spouts, he will stop using the litter box one drop at a time and instead play. Only to use the litter box when he’s done playing.
They have many cat trees, elevated spaces, scratchers, and probably the first 50+ toys listed on Chewys website. The boredom thought just came to me about 48 hrs ago, and since then I have began to implement a couple 20-30 minute play sessions a day where both of my cats have my full attention and we play with toys, laser lights, tunnels, feather wands, you name it.

Other theory, temptation cat treats? He gets a lot of these, more than just as a treat to be fair. feed my other cat a high quality canned food 2x a day (I only give Simon a little spoonful bc unfortunately since he was a kitten he would only eat a bite of wet food at a time, and even this he sometimes won’t eat), a rotation of quite a few brands/flavors and leave dry food out all day (Instinct ultimate protein) Neither one of them eat very much dry food but it’s out for them in case. Admittedly, simons diet since lockdown first began became filled with more and more temptations. Before I worked from home he would get temptations maybe 3x a day 3 at a time (still a lot) and now he probably gets 3 at a time 6x a day. However, since this started I stopped giving him temptations and instead give him a few freeze dried raw treats with only ONE temptation treat thrown in there once or so a day because I know that’s what the guy really wants. Could this be causing FIC?

I did mention this to the vet and she said that since he is otherwise healthy and at a healthy weight, that junk food like temptations was okay in moderation so regardless I know they either need to be greatly limited or cut out completely.

My plan is to take him back to the vet tomorrow since he’s still peeing a drop at a time (although late last night he did pee one full clumps worth) and here is what else I’ve done. I ordered the last few toys from chewy that they don’t have lol, some interactive puzzle toys, a treat dispenser toy, feliway spray and thunder way calming cat spray. I’ve also ordered a new water fountain just to encourage more intake, new flavors/brands of wet food, more pure bite treats to hopefully replace temptations, and fortiflora to help his gut from the recent antibiotic.

If you’ve made it this far I thank you, and is there anything else I should be doing? Is there any advice any of you have for me? Strange sicknesses in cats is unfortunately nothing new to me, my other cat has hyperesthesia and albeit very frustrating to figure out at first we’ve figured out how to properly manage that as well. Looking for any advice to get Simon through this battle now.

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Happy Holidays to you too! I think you have just about covered what you can try to do to help alleviate stress for Simon. It might take awhile to turn things around, however. Besides what you are doing, have you considered trying some calming products just to see if that might help a bit? There are lots of them on the market, and not all work on all cats, so you may have to experiment a bit. Just do an internet search on 'cat calming products' to see which ones you might want to try. EDIT: Also consider trying some music for cats - a lot of members on this site have had some success with calming their cats this way. And, for additional entertainment, see if Simon might like to watch videos of birds/squirrels.

I seriously doubt the Temptations treats would cause FIC. But, it does sound as if he could use a little bit more moisture in his diet, if I understand correctly that he isn't too keen on wet foods. Hopefully, a new water fountain might help with that if he is interested in it. If you don't already have a water fountain that mimics water coming from a faucet, you could always try one of those too.

Did they do a urine culture when they did the urinalysis, to determine the type of infection and the most effective antibiotic? If not, he might not have completely gotten over the infection, and may need another course or a different antibiotic altogether. You might also ask the vet about another round of anti-inflammatories, perhaps a different type to see if that might give him more relief. Did the vet mention finding any crystals in his urine, or tell you if his PH is in the normal range? Crystals and/or a high PH can also lead to inflammation, and in some cases an infection, so it could be more than just FIC.

Hopefully you will soon hear from other members with their ideas/input!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I bought the feliway spray and that actually just came in the mail so hopefully that helps him some. I bought a new water fountain too that should be here any day now. Good idea about the bird watching! I’ll turn that on the tv when working to see if he likes it, he watches the birds outside quite often too. I should mention that in the warmer months I do try and take him outside on a harness everyday for 30 mins or so. I live in northern Michigan so that hasnt been happening lately, but this is how it’s been for 4 years now. He doesn’t even ask to go outside in winter though like he does in summer so that wouldn’t be it

He sees his usual vet tomorrow, I had to take him to an animal hospital the first time because it was a saturday and they are not allowing you to go in with your pet, but I know they did a bladder scan and a urinalysis. She didn’t say anything about crystals or pH, but that his bladder was empty so they did have to wait for the sample initially. I’m not sure about the urine culture either, I’m thinking no since it wasn’t mentioned. She said “he has the start of a little infection, but he does have inflammation in there as well” and that’s when she brought up FIC. I’ll just have to give these things some time I guess!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See if you can get copies of the tests done at the animal hospital - it might save some redundant testing and associated expenses with your regular vet. I would guess they could fax them to your vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simonalm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea! I’ll call them tomorrow morning to have them do that. I usually ask them to do right away if I’m ever at a vet different than their usual, but forgot this time.