Fever, Nausea, And Vomiting (food Poisoning)

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ran out of dry cat food and switched Caspian to wild calling turkey a few days ago. The new dry food came in but he wouldn't touch it. Thinking he was spoiled from the canned food, i kept feeding it (the canned). Today he refused to eat completely. I finally got him to eat some dry food tonight but he vomited it up and had diarrhea on my bed.

I thought his temperature felt high. I took his temp and it was 104.2 degrees. Sounds like food poisoning.

Tomorrow is Sunday so no vets are open. I'm reluctant to take him in to the Emergency vet unless i absolutely have too. Isabelle has surgery coming up (for $800) and Tru just ran up a $600 vet bill. I can't afford this right now...

I do have a bunch of antibiotics... Metronidazole, amoxicillin clauvanate. I'm wondering if it would be wise to give him some.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

Try some 50:50 unseasoned boiled chicken and white rice.

Also try unflavored Pedialyte, or make some kitten glop. There are recipes on the internet for both. Hang in there!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4horses 4horses - how is his fever today? Have you taken his fever several times overnight? I'd be concerned if his fever remains around 104 degrees or more for more than 24 hours. Whether you might try to go to an ER vet today depends on several things - the fever, not eating, continued vomiting, etc.

Make sure his water intake stays high, unless he is vomiting after water intake too.

Have you tried feeding him something else, another brand of food (hoepfully wet food), or anything besides dry food?

If it were me, I'd avoid the dry food, monitor his fever, etc., and if he's not eating, with fever and vomiting for longer than a day, I'd take him to a vet. I'd also never give antibiotics willy-nilly without a vet diagnosing specific bacterial issues first. I don't think that's a good idea.

:alright: :hugs: :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Temperature was normal this morning. 100.7 degrees. He was at the window chirping at the birds and running around. He did not want his temperature taken and fought me about that.

Only he still threw up shortly after eating breakfast. His hydration seems good according to the pinch test. I made some oral rehydration solution and am giving him some every 30 minutes. Might as well make sure he stays hydrated.

we just went through this with Tru. First they said pancreatitis, then they said inflammatory bowel disease. I'm wondering if it was food poisoning as she recovered before they even started her on treatment and has been healthy since.

I will recheck his temperature later and keep an eye on him. I'm hoping this is just a stomach upset and he will feel better later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate everything today and is doing much much better! So i think it was a short lasting food poisoning.