Ferel cat about 6 months old

mommacat64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a ferel mail cat that is about 6 months old that lives in the bushes at my job. I work at an apartment complex. We trap and get the cats fixed. There is a male kitten he looks to be about 4 to 6 months old that I would love to take home. My bosses wife who has no cats will not let me take it home. I grew up on a farm have had cats ferel as well as not raised 3 day old kittens. She says no cause it has to back to its colony. I don't think it's safe one and 2 it would have a permanent home it will take time I know but I have patience and cats just seem to take to me. What do you think?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There is a ferel mail cat that is about 6 months old that lives in the bushes at my job. I work at an apartment complex. We trap and get the cats fixed. There is a male kitten he looks to be about 4 to 6 months old that I would love to take home. My bosses wife who has no cats will not let me take it home. I grew up on a farm have had cats ferel as well as not raised 3 day old kittens. She says no cause it has to back to its colony. I don't think it's safe one and 2 it would have a permanent home it will take time I know but I have patience and cats just seem to take to me. What do you think?
Can you explain to your boss that a cat is more safe indoors than being outdoors? It'll be good that you took this kitten home and get it fixed and give him a permanent home.

I think the kitten will be in safer in your hands than being with the colony living outdoors facing the elements and danger and wild animals. Please bring the kitten home if you can.

You guys are doing a good job in trapping and getting the cats fixed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. You might also explain that due to the age of this cat, it could very well be chased off from the colony. If it is spending its time in bushes - away from where the colony is located, it may have already been chased off. There is even a chance that its mom will chase/has chased it off as part of her preparation for another litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommacat64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the above. You might also explain that due to the age of this cat, it could very well be chased off from the colony. If it is spending its time in bushes - away from where the colony is located, it may have already been chased off. There is even a chance that its mom will chase/has chased it off as part of her preparation for another litter.
Thank you I am offering it a safe home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommacat64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried she is all about just getting them fixed and letting them go again. I know even a fixed cat out in the wild has a shorter life span due to disease or being hit by a car

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I tried she is all about just getting them fixed and letting them go again.
But at least she has the heart of fixing them. But I think if you can convince her by saying that you fell in love with this cat and like to take her home, I guess she won't mind that.

Although she does not own any cats, her thoughts may be since she fixed them, they are kind of belong to her in that sense. Anyway, bringing home the cat is much better than leaving him with the colony. Some cats do well as living with a colony and some don't.

I think you should try to bring this cat home.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there
Boy you're in a tough spot with her being the boss's wife and all .I really feel for you because I've been around long enough and have heard exactly what you're hearing and it's out of ignorance... I'm sure this lady believes with every ounce of her heart that " ferals" are unable to be socialized,are better off in a colony,are happier outside and all these pre-conceived notions that prevent them from hearing the fact that it is simply not so

Everyone here knows better ,thst what you are offering is in this babies best interest and the best opportunity for him to live a safe,healthy ,happy life with a loving pet parent ... but not everyone thinks this way,they are completely ignorant of probable short lifespan of an homeless cat- let's not even get into the potential risks,hazards & health concerns

I hope I don't get beat up for saying what I would do because I completely agree with everyone who advised you to try and persuade her by telling her how you would be helping this little fellow and loving him,something he'll never know living in a colony
But tbh,I don't see these types as changing their mind

I'd just take him when nobody's looking! And when she says " where's the little guy,he's missing " I'd shrug my shoulders and say I hope he hasn't been hit by a car or something horrible because I really wanted to give him a safe home! I'm not telling you to lie,not telling you to steal- not even suggesting it,lol Just saying what I'd do and have done many a time

I hope it works out for you and I'll pray her heart be softened and her mind be open....I wish you the very best,he deserves you -might be the only chance he'd have to be adopted-I feel your turmoil,You sound like a really wonderful person

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah- someone mentioned earlier that the lady probably thinks they are her cats because she feeds the colony and TNRs.... doesn't give anyone ownership,possession is 9/10s of the Law and in every State cats are viewed as personal property

My only concern is thst she's the bosses wife and probably yours too.... hoping to hear good news from you❤🙏👍

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring for all of these cats.

He is fixed all of my 10 cats are fixed and go to the vet for annual check ups all are fed and cared for.
Do you think your 10 resident cats will be OK with a new member of the family? Do you have a room where you can keep him isolated while you go through the introduction process?

If you do end up bringing him home make sure you get him vaccinated and have him checked over by a vet before you introduce him to your other pets. Even healthy looking cats can carry disease and it would be heart breaking if he passed anything on to your other cats.

Please keep us posted.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring for all of these cats.

Do you think your 10 resident cats will be OK with a new member of the family? Do you have a room where you can keep him isolated while you go through the introduction process?

If you do end up bringing him home make sure you get him vaccinated and have him checked over by a vet before you introduce him to your other pets. Even healthy looking cats can carry disease and it would be heart breaking if he passed anything on to your other cats.

Please keep us posted.
You're not kidding,I'm going through FHV right now and 2yrs ago little Max was NOT ntegrated with my other cats until I had him tested for EVERYTHING and Vaxxed - it so happened he had a false negative....thank God all my babies are vaccinated,unfortunately that does not prevent them from contracting the herpes virus

Maxxy might lose his eyesight- you're right,it's heartbreaking and I take every precaution possible.... very sad