Feral Mom and Kittens

Doctor Plague Doctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Basically trying to get a real/expert or experienced answer on this:

When is the right time to separate a feral mother and her kittens? I just got done socializing my first litter and I had them since birth (caught momma cat day of) and it took me nearly 8 weeks before my hold out kitten finally warmed up to me. It wasn't till I removed the mother cat from my kitten room that she finally started warming up to me.

Also, maybe some tips on room setup/products for managing a feral mom alongside kittens. As it currently stands I have a really large "kennel" with a medium/large kennel nestled inside it, my current mother cat has free roam of the kitten room (I have an entire room dedicated for kittens atm) and she will duck into the kennel when I enter the room, have a "scoop" on a pole that I can use to separate the kittens if they are nestled up against momma but tend to still get growled at when im messing with her kittens.

Up side is I can lock momma up when im trying to interact with the kittens.

I currently have 5 kittens, 2 5-7 week olds, tried to use them as bait but their mother refused to get in my traps, and 3 4-6 week olds, was able to catch thier mother (current momma cat) should I just keep momma locked in the kennel/separate from the 4-6 week olds? they are already eating solid food.

Lastly any major tricks/tips for quickly socializing/best practices and techniques to socialize kittens of a feral mother?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A common scenario is re a shy semiferale, is usually cooperating. As soon she has landed and realizes there is no real danger nor threats, and you are helping her children, so does adapt and copy. Because, cat mommas are alike human mommas: the welfare of her children is more important than "freedom".
Thus, its often easier to take care of such a cat with kittens, than her alone...
Its not sure you will manage to socialize her, but its usually no problem with fostering the kittens. If you are respectful to her, she usually allows you.

This is surprising common scenario, even if nothing is ironclad. (of course, the really aggressive are never taken in; we just take the kittens, or dont bother and at most, leave her some food outside)

so, either you had unluck and got "tought nuts", or you do this not the best way... Have you tried with Feliway? Relaxing music on?

So, in your situation, where the cooperation isnt working, and momma is a real hindrance for fostering and socializing, I would say,
do separate them earlier, at 5-6 weeks, when they no longer need to suckle on momma, but are still easy to socialize...
Spay momma and let her out.

Such situations is one of the exception of the holy rule of minimum 8 weeks; shy / aggressive semiferale moms,
the other exception is dire necessities,alike orphans,... situations when you got to save what is there left to save...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s probably best to go ahead and get the feral mom spayed and released since the kittens are all at least 4 weeks and able to eat on their own. Feral born kittens are usually socialized in under 12 weeks.

Here is a helpful video:

And another:

Thanks so much for helping these ferals! You are doing a great job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Doctor Plague Doctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I do believe I had watched both will rematch to see if there is anything that I am doing that I can change/do better however.

StefanZ StefanZ In the case of a completely shy and slightly aggressive mother, any tips to make friends with the mother? I dont frankly have the time or resources to try and socialize an adult cat so my end game with her is going to be spay and release. I just am not 100% sure how old her kittens are/when I should take her away given my last mother cat was really aggressive by week 7 and removing her seemed to drastically improve the pace at which I socialized my last litter.

Also for the both of you, have heard it recommended that you isolate hard to socialize kittens, have either of you had to do this/how long for? I isolated one of the more skittish kittens last night and while its still not a fan of me, I got him to pur while petting him this morning so I think thats good progress? (his cries make me feel like a bad person though)

Doctor Plague Doctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That said, Only time I really get a stank eye or growl from momma currently is when im taking kittens away from her directly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once the kittens can eat wet and dry food fully on their own you can separate them from mom, but if she is nursing, grooming, and playing with them you can leave her with them longer.

I don’t care for isolating young kittens. I think handling them more often works better, and hissing at them lets them know you’re the boss. Hissing is what mom cats do to their kittens when they misbehave. Kittens instinctively get the message quickly.

Doctor Plague Doctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Thanks for the tip on hissing, was watching the kitten lady's feral cat mom guide and it sounds almost like she advocates letting momma go at week 5, she only mentions spaying her but not whether to bring her back or release momma.

Went out and got a food scale and my smallest kitten is 600 grams (trying to approximate their age) but thats the runt, the other two are about 725-750.

Doctor Plague Doctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 On the when to remove momma bit, somewhat important for a quick answer as im driving up to the vet that handles strays in my area at a reasonable price tomorrow (its a 40 min drive, no local TNR programs in my city/next door)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t like this last-minute notice. It’s your call. I’ve already told you what I think based on what you’ve said about the mom cat. Re-read your thread and decide and let us know.

Doctor Plague Doctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 sorry, just had a rough time of it socializing the last litter (first time so maybe that might have contributed) does feliway help the kittens acclimate with humans or is that just to help calm momma down?