Feral Kitty Locked In Neighbors Back Yard Shed -

linmar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feral mama cat delivered three kittens in my back yard about 5 mos ago. I trapped and already took two kitties in for a spay as I am trying to rehome them. They pretty much live in my backyard and on the patio now. One of them has somehow managed to get locked in my neighbor's back yard shed. Possibly has been missing for several days or more. As of last night, I was able to get a hold of the neighbor's room mate and asked him if he could check his shed and garage for the kitty. He opened the garage later that night but not the shed. I am almost positive the kittens cries are coming from their shed. Can't get them to respond to knocking at front door or a note left on their front door now even though home. Contacted Humane Society today and they referred my inquiry to the spca. Spca is going to make a courtesy call this afternoon to see if they can contact neighbor to check their shed. I am on the out's with husband now for this and probably will be with the neighbor too! What would you have done? Am I going overboard not wanting the kitten to succumb in there? We are having 100 plus degree days here and there is likely no food or water. As of last night I heard the kitten meowing when I would call.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for trying to help this sweet kitty ( also for doing TNR on the kittens). You have done all of the right things. That poor kitten. I hope the ASPCA shows up soon. I would think I might resort to prying the door open. I certainly hope all will end well. Please do let us know.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bust the door down, pay the neighbors to have it replaced, installed, and a bit extra for their trouble if you can.
If they had access to breeze (open window) and water, it might be different, and I disagree with defacing property but this is a really time-essential situation.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I think it's really crappy that the neighbors are ignoring you and treating you like a giant PITA when you're only trying to ask them to open their stupid shed door!! It's not like you're asking them to re-roof your house for free =(

People are jerks but L linmar you are FAR from that. I hope this situation resolves...and fast!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with 1CatOTL and ShadowsRescue. I hope that SPCA responds and gets a good result. If not, you might have to consider entering inside yourself. I would try to find a friend to help you, to get over the fence and back again. Even if it meant a trespass charge - just keep your cell phones handy to document why you did it. For the neighbors to know of the situation and not immediately correct it is also a crime (allowing neglect of companion animal). and I am sure that you could find enough caring people who would contribute to some sort of fund that would pay for any liabilities that may arise.
I know of one lady who broke into an abandoned house after the authorities briefly checked the house and found nothing. So the lady emailed the realtor handling the property who was entirely unsympathetic and threatened the lady with arrest. So she talked SPCA to set traps but they would only do it for one day during daylight hours while they were there and caught nothing (imagine that - cats who hide from strangers!!) After that home check, the lady's former neighbors (too elderly to do it themselves) told her that they could see 2 cats in the upstairs windows meowing in the early morning when they walked their little dog. So the lady undid the back door at the hinge and left (so cats could get out, which they did, when no one was around) and returned a couple of days later and put the door back on the best that she could. The 2 cats turned up later under another home's porch, a short block down and we are working on trying to a rescue to trap and neuter them only the current houseowner wants them relocated.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with 1CatOTL and ShadowsRescue. I hope that SPCA responds and gets a good result. If not, you might have to consider entering inside yourself. I would try to find a friend to help you, to get over the fence and back again. Even if it meant a trespass charge - just keep your cell phones handy to document why you did it. For the neighbors to know of the situation and not immediately correct it is also a crime (allowing neglect of companion animal). and I am sure that you could find enough caring people who would contribute to some sort of fund that would pay for any liabilities that may arise.
I know of one lady who broke into an abandoned house after the authorities briefly checked the house and found nothing. So the lady emailed the realtor handling the property who was entirely unsympathetic and threatened the lady with arrest. So she talked SPCA to set traps but they would only do it for one day during daylight hours while they were there and caught nothing (imagine that - cats who hide from strangers!!) After that home check, the lady's former neighbors (too elderly to do it themselves) told her that they could see 2 cats in the upstairs windows meowing in the early morning when they walked their little dog. So the lady undid the back door at the hinge and left (so cats could get out, which they did, when no one was around) and returned a couple of days later and put the door back on the best that she could. The 2 cats turned up later under another home's porch, a short block down and we are working on trying to a rescue to trap and neuter them only the current houseowner wants them relocated.
A friend of mine called me a LOT of years ago in a panic. This had to have been 25 years ago.
She worked in a store next to a condemned home that was scheduled for demolition and said she and the other workers were hearing baby kittens meowing occasionally.
I went and talked with the workers, and brought a live trap. The house was scheduled to be demolished that following day, so we went inside (the place was unlocked), searched around, and placed a live trap with tons of smelly food in it next to where we found 5 squirming 3 week or so old kittens (they were in a closet) and hoped for the best.
Next morning early we got there and God love her that mother cat was in the trap, babies hungry but un harmed, and got her and her family the hell out of there.
The babies were fostered by a friend of ours and found nice homes and a friend of ours took the mother cat.
We didn't get permission to enter this house, we just did it. Legally I'm sure it was wrong, but we had no time!! We didn't steal, vandalize, etc.
I still sometimes visit that store, and where that house stood is a parking lot and every time I park there I remember that entire scenario.
(This friend also helped me rescue a dog and get her to safety, and she found a home almost immediately because she was adorable. The best friends ever are tough folks who rescue small creatures.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linmar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your stories, support, and wisdom. I am happy to report "Thea" has been rescued from the shed! Spca did come out yesterday and neighbor answered the door for him. They went in the backyard, unlocked the shed, looked around, stood there for a few mins., no kitty was seen or came out. Their conclusion was no kitten in the shed. Locked it back up and left. Husband called me at work to report on their "efforts". I was so furious. When I got home last night I went right to neighbor and he actually came to the door for me. I apologized for the inconvenience and asked if he would stand by the shed while I called Thea so he could hear her. Sure enough she responded to my calls very LOUDLY. His and my husbands eyes got real big as they realized what they heard. I got some strong smelling wet food and put out for her while he opened the shed. He said he would watch for her to come out and close the shed back up when she was out. He's so afraid someone will steal his tools he can't leave it open for any length of time. Figuring she wouldn't come out with too many of us there, daughter, husband and I went in the house to wait on neighbor and Thea. After what seemed like a long time I went to see what was going on. The dish was empty and he had put it on my fence and the shed was locked up. I noticed his car gone. I watched all night long but no kitty came yo my patio to join the other two kittens. This morning I went back to the shed and called. She again answered from in the shed! Apparently she had gone back in after eating and he hadn't seen her but he figured she left after eating so he locked the door again. I told my husband to repeat the same exact thing this morning before I left for work, but this time to really have someone watch to be sure they see her come out then close the shed. My daughter texted me about noon that Thea was back on the patio with her sister Moonie and brother Venus, hungrily eating and drinking water! I'm just so thankful for a happy ending.
temp(1).jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::yess::bliss::bunnydance::banana1::dance::dizzycat::clapcat::clap2:

WONDERFUL update!!! I am so happy that this turned out well. Thank you for not giving up and for pushing for a solution that has worked out so well. Your efforts will inspire others, I am sure! Congratulations to you all!:rock: