Feral kitties problems

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I am fostering a new litter of kittens, these ones are 6 weeks as of today and are from an outdoor/feral cat. The first litter I fostered was with me from day 1 so having little older kittens from outside has given me a new set of problems that I'm not sure how to deal with.

First off, with them having lived outside for over a month, they have fleas. I have bathed them and gotten I wanna say all of the fleas off, it wasn't bad maybe like 10 total out of all 4 of them. Should I be worried that there is an infestation on them? I know I can't give them anything for a few more weeks, I have never dealt with fleas with any animal so I'm not sure what to look for or anything. I combed with a flea comb and didn't see any of the "dirt" but I'd rather be safe than sorry. My friend said that the mom wears a flea collar, which is why I assume there wasn't a whole lot of fleas on them, but I don't know how flea collars work either. Squirmy kittens are also difficult to thoroughly comb, so I'm not sure how good of a job I did.

Another issue, one of them is smaller than the rest, the runt, and with my last litter, I simply bottle-fed that one extra. But since these have never had a bottle or anything, it is really hard to feed the smaller one extra. This one also gets "stuck" when eating, suckling the gruel/formula mixture. Mom stopped letting them nurse at about 5 weeks so when I tried a bottle, it doesn't suckle on it and just chews it. The syringe kinda works but the kitten still pulls away hard and doesn't like to have the syringe in its mouth. Despite being small, this one is the spunkiest and very playful so maybe they are just small?

The runt, my friend mentioned that he thinks it's sick, and it does sneeze but doesn't have the crusty stuff since I cleaned it when I got them. I noticed that the nose seems smaller and kinda more closed if that makes sense, so maybe it's from that, it's eyes are also closer together too compared to the other kittens. All of them have good energy and are eager to eat during feedings. They do have slight diarrhea but that may be my fault for over feeding them, my dummy brain got stuck in the every 4 hours feedings but looking it up it should be every 6 according to feeding guides online. I already dewormed them once, none have bloated tummies, and overall seem in good health. I plan to get them checked out once I have enough saved up from donations (my friend donated 50 dollars I could cry). Another did have a crusted closed eye randomly over night, but I think it was because I had to emergency change the litter because Chewy's delivery was delayed for 4 days and that litter even got me a bit messed up from the smell. I changed the litter back to the usual one I used and that was the only time the eye was crusted on one kitten.

Just a random thought, I am weirdly obssessed/addicted to fostering kittens lol. Like I might start volunteering at my local shelter now just to get my itty bitty kitty fix once these ones are older and adopted. I still have 2 from the first litter I fostered, but something about the little mews when they are hungry makes my heart melt.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off thank you for taking in these little one's. I can't advise about the smaller kitten's nose and eyes. I would check with a vet about that and the sneezing, but it's not unusual for one of the kittens to be smaller the runt as your friend calls him/her. Hopefully someone will come on here with good advice about feeding the little one extra. As far as the fleas go you've done what you can for now. Advantage spot on flea treatment just plain old advantage can be used from 8 weeks old. Just make sure you get the one for small cat's less than 4kg. And you are not alone that kitten mew melts the hardest of hearts.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six week old kittens should be able to eat the mush. Give the runt a dish of just formula and see how it manages that.

You can put Advantage II for Kittens on the back of their necks. They are old enough.

I do suggest you take them to a vet for an evaluation. They’ll need worming and if any have an upper respiratory infection it can be treated with antibiotics.

Where is the mother? She needs to be trapped and spayed ASAP so that she does not produce another litter. This is imperative.

The kittens should be fixed once they hit 2-3 pounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already did 1 dose of deworming when I got them, I'll buy the advantage II asap. They want to be cuddled but I've just been afraid to because of the fleas. Friend is taking mom to be fixed.
I actually picked them up out of state, but will be taking them to my vet back home when I get home next week

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the little one won't eat from the bowl on his own, you might have to lead him to the bowl. Will he lick formula off your fingers? You can gradually decrease the distance from bowl to fingers and then maybe dunk his chin into the formula once he's close enough. He'll lick himself clean and hopefully, will figure out what's in the bowl is good to eat. Generally once one of them learns what the bowl is for, the others soon follow.

Possibly, a saucer will work better than a bowl. For some reason, cats take to a saucer easier. It is messier, but if they'll eat from it, that's the way to go at first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P-chan96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitties are over 8 weeks and thriving!
Mom is fixed
Turned out to be an eye issue, not respiratory! Terramycin did the trick.
All have their first round of shots and will be getting their last deworming this coming up weekend.
These little ones are more cheeky than my first litter and it's so funny to watch, although my older kitties are not a fan of them lol