Feral Kittens Rescued - Not Sure About Food Situation

TrixieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brought two feral kittens into the house today. They appear to be about four weeks old. We've been feeding mom cat for the past 3-4 weeks, not knowing she was a mom cat. I'm assuming the kittens were still nursing. I bought kitten wet food but they don't seem to have any interest. Is it possible they don't know what to do with the wet food? Do I need to get kitten formula and feed them with eye dropper?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is mom cat still around? Any chance of finding her and bring her in also? Have you checked to see if there are more kittens?

Four weeks is too young for regular cat food. I believe kittens start to switch to cat food at 8 weeks, but will still nurse for another week or se. Try feeding them with Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR), use the powdered version, you can mix as much as you need for each feeding. You may also need the nursing equipment, or at least an eye dropper to feed them the KMR. I don't know if they are old enough to drink from a saucer.

I'm sure that other TCS members will soon help. Can you keep the kittens in a small box with a blanket or towel to help them stay warm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need kitten formula asap! They are too young to wean and have obviously been nursing their mom. Feed with a needleless syringe as they may not take a bottle. Feed as much as they want every 3-4 hours. Keep us posted. Try to bring their mom in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TrixieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We managed to weigh the cats. One is 480 grams and one is 640 grams. They're also grooming, so maybe older than 4 weeks? Ones eyes are still blue; the other's look blueish-green. Mom is still around. We brought them in because we had this same thing happen 1 1/2 years ago and could never catch the either mom or kittens to TNR. In fact, I believe mom cat is one of those kittens all grown up. I am having second thoughts though that perhaps they should be returned to mom. There are two kittens still with her. But I'd hate to not be able to TNR them in the future. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

TrixieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We managed to weigh the cats. One is 480 grams and one is 640 grams. They're also grooming, so maybe older than 4 weeks? Ones eyes are still blue; the other's look blueish-green. Mom is still around. We brought them in because we had this same thing happen 1 1/2 years ago and could never catch the either mom or kittens to TNR. In fact, I believe mom cat is one of those kittens all grown up. I am having second thoughts though that perhaps they should be returned to mom. There are two kittens still with her. But I'd hate to not be able to TNR them in the future. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Wanted to add: We can't get near mom cat. She runs away if we get too close.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Brought two feral kittens into the house today. They appear to be about four weeks old. We've been feeding mom cat for the past 3-4 weeks, not knowing she was a mom cat. I'm assuming the kittens were still nursing. I bought kitten wet food but they don't seem to have any interest. Is it possible they don't know what to do with the wet food? Do I need to get kitten formula and feed them with eye dropper?
My advice is you keep them, even if you CAN return them to momma.

Because, kittens from shy ferales are one of the few exceptions from the holy rule of minimum 8 weeks:

If you take the kittens earlier, they become much easier to foster and socialize, and thus; they become easily adoptable.
In short, you give them a life and a future...

The other exception to this 8 weeks rule, is sheer desperate necessity, when we try to save what may be saved... An orphan or such....

If you could take the momma with all the kittens, the situation would prob be different, but its not the case.

Do what is possible to do! And hope the other two kittens will manage ok them too.

TrixieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final update: We returned the kittens to mom - she will raise them best. It just didn't feel right taking them from her. We will try to TNR when they get older.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Final update: We returned the kittens to mom - she will raise them best. It just didn't feel right taking them from her. We will try to TNR when they get older.
You are the pilot here, so you must plan and decide for this flight... We all respect your decision.

Just make sure momma accepts back her two lost kittens. The odds are for it, but you must watch out....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start getting all of them used to a live trap. Put the food near the doorway and slowly, week by week move it inside. Places such as Tractor Supply have them and often on sale, I got mine for 25.00.
I know how hard this is for you, I would have done the same thing. They were just too young to manage on their own. If you could TNR them the would have a much better life and much fewer injuries from fighting. If you don't, you will soon have 30 cats instead of 5. It's expensive but very well worth it.

TrixieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom took back the kittens and has moved the litter to a different part of the yard. She and her five babies are all back together and she was nursing them yesterday. We continue to feed her and perhaps we will soon have five little mouths to feed. I think the kittens are a little older than I thought as they were having a great time fighting and tumbling and pouncing. Thank you for all your suggestions! We will do our best to TNR.

TrixieTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been a little while, how are things going?
So, mom and the kittens only stayed in the yard for a few more days. She relocated the kittens but came back 3-4 times a day to eat. She returned with the kittens once more but then took them away after about a week. I don't know why as we fed them, provided them with outdoor shelter, water and even a play area for the kittens. Anyway, we were able to TNR mom cat, dad cat and two of the five kittens before they totally disappeared. Dad cat still comes by 3-4 times a week at night. Maybe someday the other kittens will come back and we'll be able to get them fixed as well. But I'm afraid they probably won't come back until they have kittens that need to be fed. I've attached a pic of mom and the kittens.

Attachments