Feral Kitten Domestication

CJackson2116

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

First off I just wanted to thank everyone here - I've been digging around a bit and found a lot of useful information and stories that will hopefully help me in my situation. Was hoping there were a few people here that may be able to help as I don't have a lot of experience in dealing with feral cats.

A little background: For the past few months I have been feeding a mother cat and her 4 kittens. I've also put up some waterproof shelters in my backyard as well that they've been living in.

cats.jpg

I was finally able to locate a cat rescue near me that has been helping me set up vet appointments (two cats at a time) for shots and spaying/neutering. I also wanted to make the effort to see if they can live inside and be adoptable. Last week, I was able to trap the first two of the bunch (brown female kitten, who I've been calling Samus, in the middle and her sister, Ripley, all the way on the right). I got them home last Monday night and brought them into a space I had set up in my basement office, away from my cat.

By the next morning, Samus had started coming up to me and turned out to be one of the nicest, most affectionate kittens I have every met. Definitely a success story with her - she's following me everywhere now! However, her sister is still freaking out a week later. She won't come anywhere near me. She's torn up parts of my office in an attempt to get to the top of the bookshelves to escape. For the past 5 days, she's been climbing up the tube that connects my dryer vent into the ceiling and been basically living in the ceiling.
ceilingcat.jpg

I have been putting food and water up there for her, but I'm starting to think that she might not be able to be domesticated. I don't just want to give up so soon on her, but it's pretty clear that she's terrified of people and doesn't seem to be coming around. Has anyone had a similar situation before and able to offer some suggestions? Would it be best to give this a little more time or should I let her back outside?

Thanks - really appreciate any suggestions!

Chris

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

First off I just wanted to thank everyone here - I've been digging around a bit and found a lot of useful information and stories that will hopefully help me in my situation. Was hoping there were a few people here that may be able to help as I don't have a lot of experience in dealing with feral cats.

A little background: For the past few months I have been feeding a mother cat and her 4 kittens. I've also put up some waterproof shelters in my backyard as well that they've been living in.

View attachment 370206

I was finally able to locate a cat rescue near me that has been helping me set up vet appointments (two cats at a time) for shots and spaying/neutering. I also wanted to make the effort to see if they can live inside and be adoptable. Last week, I was able to trap the first two of the bunch (brown female kitten, who I've been calling Samus, in the middle and her sister, Ripley, all the way on the right). I got them home last Monday night and brought them into a space I had set up in my basement office, away from my cat.

By the next morning, Samus had started coming up to me and turned out to be one of the nicest, most affectionate kittens I have every met. Definitely a success story with her - she's following me everywhere now! However, her sister is still freaking out a week later. She won't come anywhere near me. She's torn up parts of my office in an attempt to get to the top of the bookshelves to escape. For the past 5 days, she's been climbing up the tube that connects my dryer vent into the ceiling and been basically living in the ceiling.
View attachment 370221
I have been putting food and water up there for her, but I'm starting to think that she might not be able to be domesticated. I don't just want to give up so soon on her, but it's pretty clear that she's terrified of people and doesn't seem to be coming around. Has anyone had a similar situation before and able to offer some suggestions? Would it be best to give this a little more time or should I let her back outside?

Thanks - really appreciate any suggestions!

Chris
I'm just going to give the short answer, some of them even from the same litter take much longer than others. Don't give up on her if you can confine her to a smaller space such as a cage and give her a hiding spot she will not tear up your home and it will give her a safe haven to get to know you.
Once you get her confined, don't stare at her or push her just softly talk to her and let her observe you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is entirely possible that this second kitten, Ripley, will settle with time. How long does it take? Well, sadly, the answer is, "As long as it takes." Most ferals can, with time and patience, become loving housecats. Just ask our Jcatbird Jcatbird ! See if you can block off her entrance to the ceiling. She needs to be, as CatladyJan CatladyJan said, where you can interact with her to some extent. Once she is there, one way of letting her get to know you is to sit on the floor reading aloud while utterly "ignoring" her. It presents you in a non-threatening way.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! Beautiful kitties! I know it feels like she is terrified of you but more likely she is just plain scared of all the new world she has entered far more than of you. Please do not give up or let her back outside. She is scared but that does not mean she cannot adjust and become a happy and socialized kitty.
First, it would be good if you can get her out of the ceiling. Does she come down at night or when on one is in the office? A camera could be very helpful right now. Either a computer can or baby monitor with camera would work. Chewy sells some too. If she does come down then , can you block her escape route for a while? Can you lure her down with extra yummy foods? Highly scented things like heated Gerber all meat baby food might work. Canned tune in water or even some nice warm Kentucky Fried Chicken held near her escape tube long enough for her to smell and then placed below the hole might bring her down. You need her to stay out of the ceiling. If you start going up to the ceiling yourself, she may start staying back in the room if you give her a place there to feel she is hidden. As CatladyJan CatladyJan mentioned, a safe haven is what she is seeking. A cage covered with a blanket, a large carrier or even a cardboard box might work. A stack of cardboard boxes is a hard thing for cats to resist as a hiding place. Whatever you can do to get her in a better place will make everything easier.
As for socializing her, every cat goes at a different pace. A very smart cat has excellent survival skills. That’s what is sending her into hiding. Food is a great tool! Her sister is another way to teach her that you are safe. Providing favorite foods can bring her closer. Seeing you interact with her sibling is another thing that can help. Where is her mom cat? If mom was in the office, she might want to be near her. You would have to keep others from joining her in the ceiling though. Keep them in a large cage? You might find Ripley trying to get near Mom. If you cannot get Ripley out of the ceiling, you can still work on socializing her. Obviously from the photo, you have a way to get up there too. Try announcing that you are coming up. Gentle voice and go up at as much of a regular schedule as possible. Talk to her a little bit don’t stare. Staring is what a predator would do. Take something like a shirt or blanket that carries your scent up there and leave it for her to lay on. Also carry something up there that carries the scent of her sister. Scent is important to cats.
Can you play some soft music in the office? There is music you can find online that is specifically for calming cats. It can calm but also provides sound that will kind of disguise house noises that might startle her. Start slowly with her. I think you will find that she proves to be a very smart and interesting kitty once she knows she is in a safe place and you are giving care and love rather than pursuing her in the way a predator would. Don’t pursue her but lure her to you.
Please don’t give up. You have already done so much to help her! If she went back outside now, she may run and be in dire straights. She could lose a lot of ground at this point and forever be scared of humans.You just need to get over the hump. I have dealt with so many like her and found those cats to be absolutely wonderful companions! My cat friends Banjo and Flowers were two of my most challenging but are now happy and loves of my life. I have had cats under buildings, on top of buildings and inside of walls. All came up, down or out in time and all ( all ages too) were socialized and with the exception of the ones living with me, got adopted. Just keep doing what you are doing. You’re doing great! Give her time and love and this will all work out. Please do keep us updated and as things change, everyone here will offer tips and what we have learned from other kitties. You are a kitty hero!:clap2::goldstar:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJackson2116

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm just going to give the short answer, some of them even from the same litter take much longer than others. Don't give up on her if you can confine her to a smaller space such as a cage and give her a hiding spot she will not tear up your home and it will give her a safe haven to get to know you.
Once you get her confined, don't stare at her or push her just softly talk to her and let her observe you.
Unfortunately, my basement area is really the only unoccupied place in my house. I have actually been trying to make eye contact when I talk to her, but I'll stop doing that from now on. I'll give this some more time, but may end up getting a large cage if everything else fails.

It is entirely possible that this second kitten, Ripley, will settle with time. How long does it take? Well, sadly, the answer is, "As long as it takes." Most ferals can, with time and patience, become loving housecats. Just ask our Jcatbird Jcatbird ! See if you can block off her entrance to the ceiling. She needs to be, as CatladyJan CatladyJan said, where you can interact with her to some extent. Once she is there, one way of letting her get to know you is to sit on the floor reading aloud while utterly "ignoring" her. It presents you in a non-threatening way.
The area that she's at is unfinished so there really isn't a way to block it off without remodeling the whole room. The good news is I'm home teleworking a good portion of the time and I'm definitely talking to her when I hear her up and walking around.

Aww! Beautiful kitties! I know it feels like she is terrified of you but more likely she is just plain scared of all the new world she has entered far more than of you. Please do not give up or let her back outside. She is scared but that does not mean she cannot adjust and become a happy and socialized kitty.
First, it would be good if you can get her out of the ceiling. Does she come down at night or when on one is in the office? A camera could be very helpful right now. Either a computer can or baby monitor with camera would work. Chewy sells some too. If she does come down then , can you block her escape route for a while? Can you lure her down with extra yummy foods? Highly scented things like heated Gerber all meat baby food might work. Canned tune in water or even some nice warm Kentucky Fried Chicken held near her escape tube long enough for her to smell and then placed below the hole might bring her down. You need her to stay out of the ceiling. If you start going up to the ceiling yourself, she may start staying back in the room if you give her a place there to feel she is hidden. As CatladyJan CatladyJan mentioned, a safe haven is what she is seeking. A cage covered with a blanket, a large carrier or even a cardboard box might work. A stack of cardboard boxes is a hard thing for cats to resist as a hiding place. Whatever you can do to get her in a better place will make everything easier.
As for socializing her, every cat goes at a different pace. A very smart cat has excellent survival skills. That’s what is sending her into hiding. Food is a great tool! Her sister is another way to teach her that you are safe. Providing favorite foods can bring her closer. Seeing you interact with her sibling is another thing that can help. Where is her mom cat? If mom was in the office, she might want to be near her. You would have to keep others from joining her in the ceiling though. Keep them in a large cage? You might find Ripley trying to get near Mom. If you cannot get Ripley out of the ceiling, you can still work on socializing her. Obviously from the photo, you have a way to get up there too. Try announcing that you are coming up. Gentle voice and go up at as much of a regular schedule as possible. Talk to her a little bit don’t stare. Staring is what a predator would do. Take something like a shirt or blanket that carries your scent up there and leave it for her to lay on. Also carry something up there that carries the scent of her sister. Scent is important to cats.
Can you play some soft music in the office? There is music you can find online that is specifically for calming cats. It can calm but also provides sound that will kind of disguise house noises that might startle her. Start slowly with her. I think you will find that she proves to be a very smart and interesting kitty once she knows she is in a safe place and you are giving care and love rather than pursuing her in the way a predator would. Don’t pursue her but lure her to you.
Please don’t give up. You have already done so much to help her! If she went back outside now, she may run and be in dire straights. She could lose a lot of ground at this point and forever be scared of humans.You just need to get over the hump. I have dealt with so many like her and found those cats to be absolutely wonderful companions! My cat friends Banjo and Flowers were two of my most challenging but are now happy and loves of my life. I have had cats under buildings, on top of buildings and inside of walls. All came up, down or out in time and all ( all ages too) were socialized and with the exception of the ones living with me, got adopted. Just keep doing what you are doing. You’re doing great! Give her time and love and this will all work out. Please do keep us updated and as things change, everyone here will offer tips and what we have learned from other kitties. You are a kitty hero!:clap2::goldstar:
She has never acted at all aggressive to either me or the vet, so I can definitely believe that a lot of it has to do with her new environment now. When she was outside, she would (playingly) bat around my fingers when I put food out.

She does come down at night and occasionally when her sister is there as well. I know this because she has climbed down when I was there and went (skittishly) towards the food and water bowls. As I mentioned above, the area that she climbs up is completely unfinished so there isn't a good way to block it off.

Thanks for all of the suggestions here - going to start the trial and error process of doing them! Will definitely provide some progress updates over the next few days/weeks!

Also, I should add that I'm definitely not giving up on her. I was just more concerned for her well being - I didn't want to keep her trapped somewhere where she would never be happy. As I suspected going into this, lots of patience is going to be required!

We had seen her mom (who ran away from people) around a lot in the neighborhood. We noticed in November that she looked pregnant and sure enough the kittens showed up not too long after. Over a few weeks, they went from being terrified of us to coming right up to us at the back door. Definitely too attached to them all to abandon them!

Thanks again for the insights everyone,

Chris

Jesse James

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, my basement area is really the only unoccupied place in my house. I have actually been trying to make eye contact when I talk to her, but I'll stop doing that from now on. I'll give this some more time, but may end up getting a large cage if everything else fails.

The area that she's at is unfinished so there really isn't a way to block it off without remodeling the whole room. The good news is I'm home teleworking a good portion of the time and I'm definitely talking to her when I hear her up and walking around.

She has never acted at all aggressive to either me or the vet, so I can definitely believe that a lot of it has to do with her new environment now. When she was outside, she would (playingly) bat around my fingers when I put food out.

She does come down at night and occasionally when her sister is there as well. I know this because she has climbed down when I was there and went (skittishly) towards the food and water bowls. As I mentioned above, the area that she climbs up is completely unfinished so there isn't a good way to block it off.

Thanks for all of the suggestions here - going to start the trial and error process of doing them! Will definitely provide some progress updates over the next few days/weeks!

Also, I should add that I'm definitely not giving up on her. I was just more concerned for her well being - I didn't want to keep her trapped somewhere where she would never be happy. As I suspected going into this, lots of patience is going to be required!

We had seen her mom (who ran away from people) around a lot in the neighborhood. We noticed in November that she looked pregnant and sure enough the kittens showed up not too long after. Over a few weeks, they went from being terrified of us to coming right up to us at the back door. Definitely too attached to them all to abandon them!

Thanks again for the insights everyone,

Chris
Don't worry - she's just frightened of the new environment. She will definitely come down eventually and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to domesticate her. Just keep talking to her and spending as much time as you can just being in the same room with her. Bring a book and sit in the room and read. It's very helpful that her sister is with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJackson2116

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't worry - she's just frightened of the new environment. She will definitely come down eventually and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to domesticate her. Just keep talking to her and spending as much time as you can just being in the same room with her. Bring a book and sit in the room and read. It's very helpful that her sister is with her.
Thanks! Funny enough, she was actually down for about 30 minutes this morning playing with her sister (and also eating/drinking and using the litterbox, fortunately!)