Feral Kitten Bite! Help!

Cmrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so I’m new to this forum, but I was bitten by a feral kitten, he couldn’t have been more than 8 weeks old. I work at a university, and had to remove him, he bit through my glove. Only managed to break through the skin with one tooth, it’s been about 12 days now. I called my local health department, animal control officer, police officer, and my local vet, all said that there was little to no chance of me getting rabies and to not worry! I didn’t have any swelling or redness, nor infection on the bite site. I did have a runny nose, and slight cough, a couple of days after the bite, but since I work outside that could be many things, I was just looking for some opinions on whether or not I should be worried about rabies? Thank you!

Coffee.The.Cat

AestheticCoffee
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think so. Did you have foaming in the mouth? Your probably gonna be fine. :kneading:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabies is very rare. But you should go to the doctor if it gets infected. Infection is the more common worry. I had a bite once that got very warm, which is a sign of infection, but it got better without medical attention. You should keep it clean and you can put Neosporin on it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Surya; I would be more concerned about infection than rabies. I think you can trust the local experts you've already spoken with. Rabies isn't something to take lightly and they know that. So if they are not concerned; I would trust them and try not to worry. :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C Cmrea - The incubation for the virus varies greatly (and can remain latent for years), and animals need not be symptomatic for cross-contagion to take place. If you're working with feral cats - and especially for a University - you really should have an ImovaxHp or RabAvert inoculation as a preemptive strike against contamination by the virus. You'll find that most animal researchers and veterinarians wouldn't take the chance of working without being first inoculated.