Feral Kitten Advice, From A Struggling Foster Parent.

dano88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! It’s been awhile but I’m back in search of advice. It’s kitten season again and we all know what that means, 100s more feral cats. I’ve been able to catch, foster, spay or neuter and release 8 adult cats at work. Currently I have a mom who I was not able to catch before she gave birth. Searched for the kittens with no luck. Finally a month ago she brought them to the porch for food. I was able to catch one of two kittens, it hissed a lot but just froze for the most part. Two days later it was purring, wanting attention, playing, etc. 3 days after the first kitten I was able to catch the second kitten, and the 4th day Momma cat. Now as I said this was a month ago. The first kitten has already gone to a home and is doing great. The second kitten is still will me, as is Momma. However, that one still hisses at me, bites me, and does nothing but try to escape. I do everything the same, every day. The only time it willing let’s me touch it is if I give it wet food. Even then it growls and has it’s ears back. Can litter mates really be that different?! Are some just “untamable”? Help?! What am I doing wrong? I also have a mom with a litter of 4 -3 week old kittens that were found in a parking lot, and my own personal cat. There’s so many

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D dano88 - Yes - littermates can, indeed, be that different. As to being, "tameable," most animals can't be tamed - but with patience and perseverance - and Love - they can become our Friends as equals - and that's a far better thing in one fellow's opinion.

Best advice: never give up.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take lots and lots of time and patience. Just like human siblings, littermates can be very different. Here is a great video that helps with some feral kitten socialization tips. It is a 3 part video series that starts with the rescue of the kittens and progresses to socializing. Keep on working....

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague