Feral Female Advice

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a couple weeks ago about a feral and her 3 kittens at my house. Well, I caught all three kittens and had them seen about. All healthy, but need socializing. We are working on that now. Monday night I was finally able to trap the mother. She was spayed Wednesday and brought home yesterday. I had my husband put her in our enclosure for our other cats, and she freaked. She found one weak spot and escaped. I haven't seen any sign of her since. I worry it was too soon with a spay, but one of the vet techs has told me even with the dissolvable sutures she should be fine to be out. I was really scared she might have ripped them out as the hole she escaped through is so small, she definitely had to squeeze her way out.

I have such little experience with feral cats, I didn't know if this was normal. I know she's been scared at the vet, in a carrier, and just being locked up. I thought to keep her in my enclosure for a couple days to heal, but she had a different idea.

My question is, does this sound like normal feral behavior? Will she return to her food source?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is very typical of a feral to try to escape after TNR. Most shoot out of the trap like a rocket. It is also typical for them to take a day or two or more to not come back. Most will return to their food source, but some decide to move along. It is all very hard to tell.

Thank you for rescuing the kittens and getting the Mom spayed. It was the kindest thing you could do for her. She will no longer have to live a life of having litter after litter.

Did you get the kittens spayed/neutered yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I have only had one feral male, and he decided he liked inside life after rescue, so I'm a newbie :)

The kittens have not been fixed yet, two have just made 2 lbs and one isn't quite there yet. But they will be soon. They did get their first shots. One has decided he loves people, the other two are still quite hissy.

Thanks again for the advice!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep leaving food and water out for her during the day. I wouldn't leave it out at night or you will only attract other unwanted critters. I hope she will return for you soon.

Happy to hear the kittens are doing well. The 3rd kitty will hopefully learn from his/her siblings and warm up soon. Here is a great video I have watched over and over when working with feral cats. It's a 3 part video series that shows the rescue and socialization of feral kittens. You might pick up some tips there!
Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great! Thank you! I will definitely check those videos out.