Feral Cats After The Death Of One Of Their Own

waddelne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to this site. I've been caring for 3 feral cats for the past 6-7 years on my property in a rural subdivision/development. Sadly, I had to put one of them down this week. His health has declined the past couple of weeks and after being missing for 4 days he came home for help. He tested positive for FIV, possibly had pneumonia, and his heart rate was so low it didn't register. It was very sad. I've never been able to pet him, but I was able to when we were at the vet's. He was the patriarch of the trio. During the time he was missing so were the other two. I thought they were missing because we got new neighbors who have a couple of dogs, but now I believe they were looking after or for their buddy. The problem is, the other two are still looking for him. They'll come to the deck for food, however, they won't eat and sit on the steps for a few minutes looking for him, then they leave. Will things eventually return to normal? Will they find someplace else for food? He was the glue that kept the 3 of them together and I worry they'll get in trouble.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just keep doing what you do. Animals do go through a grieving process and it is possible that they expect him to return to them. They could be a part of a bigger group. Cats do form cliques within the larger group. I think eventually they will adjust or move on.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree.

One remark: IF you hope to perhaps foster and socialize them, it may be now the occasion for an opening. When the situation is changed, when they need extra help.

If this ferale would survive, he would be easy to foster, now when he sough help. He got help, but he was too severly sick to survive...

But its essentially the same for the other two... If you manage to step in, to give them some comfort, help, relief - the Opening MAY open up again.

Continue to offering food. Talk sweetly and friendly, make friendly compassionate noises...

Tx a lot for caring, and helping this poor, dying guy. He died being loved, knowing he was loved and taken care for. The beauty was there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddelne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other 2 (1 male, 1 female) aren't socialized or adoptable although I have tried. I can't touch the female at all. A neighbor tried to adopt her when she was about 6 wks old but she bit the woman and ran away - she came back to me and I'm about 1/4 mile away! The male will rub up against me but skittish if/when I pet him. Both are neutered. The male is a fighter so it wouldn't surprise me if he has FIV. It's possible there are other groups close by. I know about a mile away there's a large (50-100) colony but I didn't think cats traveled that far.

I'll continue to put out food and go from there. I had deep affection for the leader. He was a challenge and I felt over the years we had developed an understanding. I'm certain that's why he decided to come home. He had an excellent life and was well cared for despite being feral.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddelne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: I am very happy to say that the 2 remaining ferals are starting to come around again and are more or less back in their normal routine. There's still an occasional glance over their shoulder but that could also be just checking to make sure there's no intruders. I do believe they were both grieving and especially the male. He and I had a chat several days ago and I could tell he was very sad. He meowed a couple of times and in the 6-7 years I've been caring for him I've never heard him meow. Anyway, I'm glad things have turned around and they're back to allowing me to care for them.