Feral cat will not use shelter that I had to move

Meb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello: My neighbor and I have been caring for a feral cat for 2 years. I have a styrofoam shelter that I got from the local TNR. It‘s on my deck and “black kitty” has been sleeping in it. Unfortunately a raccoon found it. I moved the shelter where it’s not accessible to the raccoon. It’s on a table where I also have black kitty‘s food. Now, black kitty will not go into the shelter. I have tried putting treats in the shelter and he will go in to get the treats. But, he will not use it at night. I really don’t want to move it back to its original location. This morning black kitty showed up and he’s soaking wet because it rained all night. I really feel bad!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any chance you can have a second table so that you separate the kitty's food from its bed? He might not like the two things being so close together.

It is also possible that the shelter smells of the raccoon. That might not stop your kitty from going inside to get a treat, but it could be reason enough not to want to sleep inside of it. If it can be cleaned, do so, and then maybe add a blanket or towel that you have rubbed on the kitty to the inside of the shelter so it smells like him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your ideas! I really appreciate it. I’m going to move his food below the table. I put his food bowl in a clear tote. He’s familiar with it and has been using it. Although moving it may set off his something’s different alarms! His food is only out during the day. I have another styrofoam shelter that I’m going to try although I know that will really set off his something’s different alarms! He’s a sweet kitty but any tiny change in his world sets him off!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If his food is not out at night, then I am not sure moving it to another location during the day will accomplish much. So, if you do try it and he gets a bit freaked out by it, move it back to its typical location. Be sure to place a towel with his scent on it in the replacement shelter, and then offer him some treats so he at least goes in it and can smell his own scent in there.