Feral Cat/ What To Do?

fishpaste

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

Yesterday, I found a young feral cat (3-5 months old if I had to guess) and I've brought her into my apartment. She's quite friendly at times and loves pets, but is still quite jumpy and scared of almost any sound/ movement. I can tell she's had a hard life so far, as she growls at any sound/ movement that she's unfamiliar with.

I've placed a flea collar around her, and some ear drop for mites. She's eating and drinking quite well. She is hit or miss with the litter box, peed in it once but hasn't pooped in it yet. It makes me happy to provide her some food and shelter.

Unfortunately, here comes the bad news: I don't believe it's possible for me to keep her permanently. I really wish I could, but my landlord is quite strict and requires a substantial deposit for cats that I simply can't afford at the moment. I've called the local no-kill shelter, but they claim to be full. I'm looking around for nearby shelters that may be able to take her in, but most seem to be full or have a policy that prevents them from taking in feral cats.

Adding to the problem is the fact that I live in North Carolina (Eastern NC). From what I've read online, North Carolina seems to be one of the worst offenders of euthanizing feral/ stray animals. Thus, I really, really don't want to give up this young kitten to the local animal control because it's almost certain that she will be killed. But as I mentioned previously, I cannot keep her long term. I've gotten the word out to some people I know in the area to see if they know anyone to take her in, but, I just moved here last month and so the number of people that I know at the moment is quite small.

Does anybody have any advice or suggestions to help me find a home for this young cat?
If anyone is from NC or has any familiarity with shelters in the NC would be willing/ able to take her in that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would your landlord let you pay the pet deposit in smaller installments? I don't think you could tame a feral cat in one day unless she was in heat, so she might be a friendly stray. That might actually be a good thing, since ferals tend to be euthanized.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishpaste

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would your landlord let you pay the pet deposit in smaller installments?
That's actually something I hadn't considered and something I will definitely pitch to my landlord. Worst he can say is no, so it's worth a shot.

Thank you!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring about this sweet kitty. I hope you can work something out with your landlord. Also vet care will be needed as you really want to get her spayed before she gets herself pregnant and you then have lots of kitties.
Keep us posted!

Also welcome to The Cat Site. You will find lots of helpful information here!