Feral cat not using shelters

Jane77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a feral cat that is very large and he is extremely fluffy…and he refuses to use his shelters outdoors. I did catch him once using one but it has been weeks since he has been in it. It has been in the 30s at night here but is now dipping into the 20s and still not going in. I am so nervous for when it gets below zero! Any thoughts on this? Will he use the shelter when absolutely necessary and maybe right now he is warm enough with his size and fur?

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat's are good at finding nooks to hide in and keep their body temperature stable such as, garages, or crawl spaces leading under houses. Chances are he's found another place to keep warm.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to have made shelters for him. I also have ferals outside and, while they love their heated beds, they don't necessarily use shelters. However, over the years, ferals have used various shelters, so this can be pretty hard to figure out. He may have other places he likes. Do you know anything about his whereabouts in the neighborhood or if anyone else feeds him or has a house where he takes shelter?

Providing Shelter

Some cats are just very picky about how shelters look, feel, and are constructed. The checklist from Alley Cat Allies might give you some hints, although this does not mean that you have not done your best to provide for him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the shelter have one opening or two? Many cats will not go into a shelter that only has one opening. It traps them and they cannot escape if a predator comes upon them. I would always start with 2 openings making one of the openings a bit smaller. Then when the cat was acclimated and comfortable in the shelter I would close the opening with a board and some duct tape.

Also what is inside the shelter? My feral cats hated straw. They would never use the shelters. Once I switched from straw to an outdoor safe heat pad, they were so happy.

You often need to try various shelters, locations and what is inside. To attract them to the shelter you can try some catnip. Yet do not put food in the shelter as it will only attract predators.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jane77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat's are good at finding nooks to hide in and keep their body temperature stable such as, garages, or crawl spaces leading under houses. Chances are he's found another place to keep warm.
I sure hope so! He doesn’t go far from his food and has plenty of choices for shelters outside, so I just hope he goes in one when it gets colder

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have heated beds in a garage, but they really don't use them if the temps stay in the thirties and even some twenties. But when it dips to low twenties and below, I see them in there. And they are short-haired. I had a fluffy stray at another place we lived at, and though she used the shelter at times, we would see her under drifts and other weird palces, she seemed completely happy covered in snow!

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a feral cat that is very large and he is extremely fluffy…and he refuses to use his shelters outdoors. I did catch him once using one but it has been weeks since he has been in it. It has been in the 30s at night here but is now dipping into the 20s and still not going in. I am so nervous for when it gets below zero! Any thoughts on this? Will he use the shelter when absolutely necessary and maybe right now he is warm enough with his size and fur?
I have a feral at my home too, he is no tiny thing either .. I have a big dog carrier I use and I put straw in it .. my carrier though is under my house so it gives him protection per say. Maybe a big carrier with straw in it set out in the open for him during the day right now would work and then you can figure out where to put it and how to cover it to make it warmer along with straw.
Hope this helps.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats have heated beds in a garage, but they really don't use them if the temps stay in the thirties and even some twenties. But when it dips to low twenties and below, I see them in there. And they are short-haired. I had a fluffy stray at another place we lived at, and though she used the shelter at times, we would see her under drifts and other weird palces, she seemed completely happy covered in snow!
Strays and ferals beat to their own drum.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does the shelter have one opening or two? Many cats will not go into a shelter that only has one opening. It traps them and they cannot escape if a predator comes upon them. I would always start with 2 openings making one of the openings a bit smaller. Then when the cat was acclimated and comfortable in the shelter I would close the opening with a board and some duct tape.

Also what is inside the shelter? My feral cats hated straw. They would never use the shelters. Once I switched from straw to an outdoor safe heat pad, they were so happy.

You often need to try various shelters, locations and what is inside. To attract them to the shelter you can try some catnip. Yet do not put food in the shelter as it will only attract predators.
He uses the shelter under the house. It is huge dog carrier and I have it layered on top with a heavy blanket and then I have another heavy duty dog seat cover over top of it there is a ton of straw to insulate the inside and straw under the carrier to put a barrier between the ground and carrier. I just put a self heating pad in it. So I will go and crawl under the house and see what is going on and how things are looking. I use straw and likes it. I keep him a bed made of straw out in the open for day use and seems to enjoy it. He always leaves a huge dent in it 💜💜💜

Nancyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put out shelters for the ferals last winter. And none of them used them. They had their own idea of What makes a good hidey hole. Don't worry
If nothing else they will sleep on top of each other.