Feral Cat House Question

patyrod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago, several neighbors in my condo complex and I were trying to rescue an injured cat that would come around crying. We couldn't get it to come, so we set up a trap beside my building and caught it and took to vet. It was a nice cat and went up for adoption. In the process, we trapped a black and white cat whom we let go. A couple of days later, it came back and got trapped again. We took it to the Humane Society, found out it was already neutered and very feral. After a week a friend adopted it, had it chipped and let it go back in its territory (by my building), per advice from the Humane Society people. My friend does not live in the area, so asked me to be the guardian and feeder. That has been going well, with Leo (the cat) now coming regularly for his dinner.

However, we are wondering what to do when the rainy season comes. Unfortunately, the condo complex is not feral cat friendly. There is a specific neighbor who doesn't like cats who can see both my lower and upper decks. We are hoping to put some kind of structure on my lower deck which would need to be disguised as a plant stand or bench or something. I would have to train Leo to come onto my deck first to eat. At the moment, I put his food down beside the deck behind a bush. Can anybody direct me to a website where they might sell something appropriate or does anyone have any plans to build something that might work? It absolutely has to be disguised as furniture because we are not allowed to have anything on our decks except for plants and deck furniture.

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few months ago, several neighbors in my condo complex and I were trying to rescue an injured cat that would come around crying. We couldn't get it to come, so we set up a trap beside my building and caught it and took to vet. It was a nice cat and went up for adoption. In the process, we trapped a black and white cat whom we let go. A couple of days later, it came back and got trapped again. We took it to the Humane Society, found out it was already neutered and very feral. After a week a friend adopted it, had it chipped and let it go back in its territory (by my building), per advice from the Humane Society people. My friend does not live in the area, so asked me to be the guardian and feeder. That has been going well, with Leo (the cat) now coming regularly for his dinner.

However, we are wondering what to do when the rainy season comes. Unfortunately, the condo complex is not feral cat friendly. There is a specific neighbor who doesn't like cats who can see both my lower and upper decks. We are hoping to put some kind of structure on my lower deck which would need to be disguised as a plant stand or bench or something. I would have to train Leo to come onto my deck first to eat. At the moment, I put his food down beside the deck behind a bush. Can anybody direct me to a website where they might sell something appropriate or does anyone have any plans to build something that might work? It absolutely has to be disguised as furniture because we are not allowed to have anything on our decks except for plants and deck furniture.
This is what I did when i wanted something on my porch in addition to my other shelters, but didn't have a lot of space. It's basically a wooden box, inserted into the base of the chair. I slanted the top forward, so rain would shed away from the opening. I also put a swinging cat door on the side closest to my back house door, as my in and out cats use it also, and ferals prefer and escape option. In the winter, I put a feline warming pad inside. It's a popular shelter. The chair on the right also has a popular feature--a kitty hammock. I stapled reflective plastic bubble wrap insulation under the slated seat for protection from the rain.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a good friend who cares for two ferals. Her condo association hates the cats so she too has to be very careful. She took her heavy wooden picnic table and put it right up against her sliding door covered with a thick tarp. She left one side of the tarp exposed and underneath is her cat shelter. She first started off using a simple rubbermaid container with two exits. She now uses a heated cat house since she has access to electricity on her deck.

I have some pictures of the shelters I have used throughout the years on my blog. Shelters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patyrod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise