Feral cat hard to trap - Advice?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My colony had been completely fixed a couple of years ago, and since then I was sure no troubles would have come from those cats.
Right after the first lockdown a new cat showed up at the colony, looks like a Maine Coon, or a mix of that breed. At first I thought it was a boy, but when I noticed the belly growing, my certainties vanished, and seeing it tail up last week confirmed me that it was a girl, pregnant.

I thought it was time to get my trap cage out of my garage and put it back in operation, but though I have tried all kinds of tricks, she doesn't even get near to it. All other cats walk into the trap, eat the bait and leave (the trap is remotely controlled, so it closes on the cat only when I press the remote button), but "my target" isn't getting in, and days are going by, the due date is getting closer...

She prefers the dry food, and I'm using this food as a bait, but no success. I also thought that if she was seeing that other cats walk in, eat and leave without harm received, she might think it was safe for her too.
Any idea on how to convince her to walk in the cage?

These are two photos of how I set up my trap, it's next to the site where all cats usually eat, so it's a familiar place to every of them.

Gabbia_1.jpg

Seen from behind, you can see the bait plate at the end of the trap. The green nylon mesh covers the small canopy with the dishes. The timber structure around it kind of hides the spot from people walking nearby (it's at my workplace).

Gabbia_2.jpg

Seen from the front, the entrance of the trap. A piece of cardboard is on the trap floor to conceal the metal grid.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I always try to go with the stinkiest foods like sardines or tuna. Some people mentioned to me last month when I was trying to trap a dying colony cat to use fried chicken as bait. If this cat has a favorite wet food than use it. I would not recommend dry food, it doesn't have that strong of an odor. Other things you can try is cat nip or silver vine. Put a little inside the entrance of the trap and then put the rest in the back. Hopefully, that would work. A trapper told me of the craziest way she trapped a cat. This cat loved the laser pointer, so she was playing with him for awhile and pointed it in front of the trap, than final in the trap and lo & behold it worked.:runningcat::dizzycat:
Another good tip is to camflauge the traps well and they might go in it themselves while trying to seek shelter.

Best of luck. I hope you trap her soon
🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that her favorite food is dry food. When I tried with very smelly wet food, she seemed uninterested, or at least she seems more interested when dry food is used. She sniffs it from outside, but then she doesn't go in.
I have a bottle of spray catnip, hopefully it might work.
The laser pointer could not work because I'm trying to trap her in full daylight, furthermore she doesn't trust anybody around her, I stand far from the trap during my attempts. If she sees me within 25-30 meters she just walks away.
I also thought of camouflaging the trap, as I did in the past, but with the trap blended with the surrounding, I might not be able to see what happens in the trap clearly enough to know when to close the trap on the cat.
I had even bought a mini camera to be put inside the trap to watch the trap from a distance, but it only worked 15 minutes...