Feral Cat Had Kitttens In My Garage.

scott webb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A ferral cat that has been hanging around my backyard for the last six months had 4 kittens Sat. night in my garage, I noticed them about 9 pm in my indoor cats old bed. I put out about 10 ounces of wet food and a bowl of water. I made sure that nothing can get in or out of the garage. Sunday morning the food was gone and Mother cat walked around the garage for about an hour and then went back to lay down with her kittens. It's Monday night and she has not eaten anything since the first food I gave her Sat. night and I check on her every 6 hours and when I observe her she will not leave the kittens. The 4 kittens are nursing from her and are moving around. Is this normal or should she be eating more?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S scott webb

When cats deliver they eat the placentas which fills them up. She then ate a bowl of food for energy after delivering, so she may not be hungry quite yet, or until after she has a bowel movement. She will eat again soon though!

That she is focused on her kittens is good!

Do you have a litter box in the garage for her? She needs one so she does not go outside now.

Please also give her 24-hour access to dry kitten chow in addition to the wet meals.

Do you plan to have her spayed after the kittens wean?

Thank you for caring for her! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scott webb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S scott webb

When cats deliver they eat the placentas which fills them up. She then ate a bowl of food for energy after delivering, so she may not be hungry quite yet, or until after she has a bowel movement. She will eat again soon though!

That she is focused on her kittens is good!

Do you have a litter box in the garage for her? She needs one so she does not go outside now.

Please also give her 24-hour access to dry kitten chow in addition to the wet meals.

Do you plan to have her spayed after the kittens wean?

Thank you for caring for her! :)
Sarthur2 Thank you for the reply, Sasha, I call her Sasha by the way, has done exactly what you said she would do. After she took a giant bowel movement last night in the far corner of my garage she has been eating wet and dry food and drinking water.

The kittens look healthy. 3 are all black and one is a tuxedo with white feet. She lets me look at them but no touch, she made that very clear with a growl.

I plan on getting her a litter box tomorrow morning.

I have been in contact with a shelter that has the TNR traps and a animal welfare vet that will fix the kittens at a low cost. I feel they will more desirable for adoption if they are fixed. When they are weaned and I can seperate them from her they all will have their procedures. The kittens will be moved into my house and I will find them homes. I work with several crazy cat ladies that have already showed interest.

Thank you again, you are a great help.