Feral Cat Fights in Cage

lisaniles407

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you stop a feral cat from trying to get out of a cage? I am preparing to bring a male cat to the vet for neutering and I have to keep him caged overnight. I am afraid that he will hurt himself because he keeps banging himself against the door and trying to bite his way out. He also somehow manages to put his paws and back legs on the side bars of the cage and kick. If I let him out of the cage he will eat something (we leave on a farm with lost of mice) and he is supposed to be nothing by mouth before the procedure. How can I keep him safe in his cage?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep the cage/trap covered at all times. If he is in a cool enough environment you can use a heavier blanket. Yet if it's hot outside and he's in the heat, keep it to a light sheet or towel. Try your best not to look under the sheet unless he is not calming down. Once he cannot see out, he should calm down. Try playing some soft music for him. Classical music played softly. I also like to leave a night light on if possible. Be sure he is in a safe location where predators or others cannot get to him.

When I trap, I usually keep the cat overnight in my basement. I put a plastic tarp down in case he pees. Then I leave a night light and soft music. Usually the cat does fine. I do try to check on the cat every few hours.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always had good luck with covering a trap, even with cats who had to stay inside overnight; in fact, it usually works right away. If you are loading him in your car, although this might be too late to do, keep him covered in case he sprays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisaniles407

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good advice. Covering has worked with my TNRs. I also use puppy pee pads in the bottom of the cage to keep the floor more comfortable for their paws. Layers mean that I can pull the soiled ones out between the bars, leaving a clean one under the kitty but I don’t do the removal if the cat is agitated.
That’s a good idea. I hadn’t thought of that.