Feral Cat Attacks My Indoor Cat

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started feeding a feral cat that's about 6 mos old. First outside and then inside. The cat is very scared of people but I was thinking of trying to rescue it. I'm thinking it won't do well living outside in a NY winter. Anyways today I left the room for a minute and the feral cat ran uptairs and attacked my older indoor cat. Mostly just screeching before I got it out. Now I'm thinking I may not be able to save this cat. Any opinions?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think its great your trying to help a feral that way. at the same time i think your putting your own cat at risk. by allowing the feral close contact with your cat if its only 6 months and never had a home its probably never gotten any shots or vaccines. it could have any number of parasites that your cat could catch from it

Dana_And_Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think its great your trying to help a feral that way. at the same time i think your putting your own cat at risk. by allowing the feral close contact with your cat if its only 6 months and never had a home its probably never gotten any shots or vaccines. it could have any number of parasites that your cat could catch from it
Certainly, you'll want to take this new cat to the vet and keep it closed off from any of your other cats.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol:
Firstly, I want to say it's wonderful and very kind that you want to make life better for the feral who's entered your life. If only more people had your compassion, the ferals of the world would have a much happier and healthier life! Because you're right - without a dedicated caregiver to provide food, water and shelter, ferals sadly have a very difficult and short life (usually only around 2 years). Amazingly, even without bringing a feral inside, if they DO have proper shelter, a dependable food and water source, and are fixed (spayed or neutered), their lifespan can actually rise to an average of ten years! Obviously an indoor life, without the threat of cars, horrible weather, other animals, angry humans, etc. is by far the safest. But as many of us who've worked with ferals for years (and there are lots of us on here that have - so it's great place to ask questions!) know that bringing a feral into your home is often a process that means alot of dedication - of time, of patience (and it helps to have llots of people willing to listen when you've had a tough day - so glad you're here!). You've obviously got patience - since you've been working with him for six months - so that's a great start!!!

At his age, if he isn't already, he VERY much needs to be neutered (and alot of us here can help you with how to go through that process!). He can make babies (so he likely already is!!!!!) at about 4 months. And it also means he's already at an age where testosterone is coursing through his kitten veins, which makes him far more territorial with other cats (in this case - your indoor older guy). Neutering won't put an immediate end to any scuffles, but turning off the testosterone faucet is a BIG start! So he needs to be neutered asap, and he also should get his shots, etc. before even getting another shot at being near your inside baby.

And even though he's been coming in and out to eat, contact with your indoor gentleman has a much better chance at working if it's a very slow, cautious, controlled intro. Again - many of us here have helped ferals we've TNR'd make the transition, so it can be done. One of our indoor guys ("Flick" - because she has a little heart-shaped flick of white on her chest) was a feral. The poor thing was from a colony in our neighborhood, but she has a light case of cerebellar hypoplasia (it doesn't hurt her, but she wobbles a bit when she walks, and she picks her back feet up like she's got scotch tape on the bottom of them - we try to only chuckle when her back's turned :lol:) and her colony shunned her, not letting her eat at any feeding stations, etc. So we TNR'd her, and after months and months of my hubby saying adamantly "we don't need another indoor kitty" I discovered he'd been tossing her bits of ham when he gardened!!!! And one night I drove up only to discover a pink cat bed on our back steps....and snuggled inside was, you guessed it, Flick. Hubby said "she'll still stay outside" (we have heated shelters in our garage, heated water bowls, etc).....but bet you can guess where this is headed....just a few months later, after "ham sessions" on the back steps, she came in permanently. But once she came in, she went into our "foster room", and we made sure it was a slow process of introduction (again - I, and many others, can offer tips on that). And now that shunned little wobbly feral is the sweetest, most loving lap cat ever. So it can be done - - - but, like people, every kitty is different, and getting them inside AND getting them to at least come to a mutual respect with your indoor guy is possible. And if, in the end, he has to be an at least partially outdoor guy - - - we can offer lots of help into making things as safe and comfortable for him as possible.

So let us all help you - - - give us a little more info about his personality, how you've worked with him so far, whether he's fixed or not, plus some info about your older guy. And your living space - - -if you've got a way to cordon your feral guy off (a spare bedroom is great). We'll help you to the best of our ability - - - because I think I can say we're ALL thrilled you want to help him have a better life!

(and I attached a pic of our little Flick - the feral that came in from the cold - or, as she's sometimes known, our "ham baby!")
Flick in doorway_week 1_SMALL.jpg

Flick on kitchen chair_10_2016.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful Flick's story is so inspiring. It takes "tincture of time" for these cases. My feral, Silver, was brought in as an adult when she suffered a broken leg from a raccoon attack. I found out that her "currency" is cat treats. After months, her leg healed and I got her to do tricks. Her confidence spared and suddenly she decided to be not only affectionate but learned to enjoy warm laps, grooming and snuggles in bed.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme - thanks for the kind words (I'll pass the compliment on to Flick :) .) I've loved many kitties in my life (not counting the thousands I've worked with at shelters over the years, or even the over a hundred fosters) and (don't tell the other kitties) - Flick is indeed special beyond words. Until her - I'd never had what I call a "true lap cat" - she's just a joy. She very much picked us - and I thank my lucky stars every day that she did. And it sounds like you've got an amazing one in Silver too!

And C catluvrr - - catsknowme catsknowme has a WONDERFUL point - finding their "currency" is a BIG help!!!! (and it goes that way for ferals, strays, husbands...... :flail:). For Flick it was ham....I've socialized so many kitties and for many it's "kitty crack" (Gerber's 2nd Stage Chicken and Gravy human baby food - - - that's the flavor that's safe to use as it has nothing in it that causes a cat to get ill - I dropped a photo in of it at the end of this). Needless to say we all call it "kitty crack" because even feral kitties have a hard time refusing it - - often choosing it over the fear of coming near you!. So it's a good thing to have on hand to get him to get used to coming near you. I always start out by offering it on an extendable spoon (yes -such a thing does exist!). I lie on the floor when I offer it, talking softly, so that I seem less scary. And the "crack" smells to high heaven but they love it!

Do keep us posted. We can try and help you with real specifics if we can learn a bit more. Hope we hear from you soon - bc you're right - winter's just around the corner (only 117 days till Christmas! and if anyone who reads this already has everything bought and wrapped - I don't want to know ;) ). And we want to make sure things work out in the best way possible for you, your indoor guy, and your feral friend!!!!

Gerber baby food Kitty Crack_.jpg