Feral Cat And Her Kittens

RavenMistwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have been feeding this feral cat for a few months over a year now. We have built up a relationship so good that she not only let’s me pet her but she demands it. I give her food, water, and shelter (including an enclosed cardboard box, a soft kitty cube thing, and a fluffy bed). She is on my patio almost every night.

She gave birth to a litter of kittens nearly 2 months ago. I finally saw her with her kittens this past Sunday! There were two. She was leading one on a long trip through the apartment complex I live in to go meet with the other one. They were so incredibly adorable! The next night (2 nights ago) I followed her again and saw her in the parking lot with just one kitten. She has a tendency to have them hid under/inside cars. I figured/hoped the other one was just hiding elsewhere, like the night before when they were far apart.

Then tonight, I was playing a video on YouTube of kittens meowing and she heard me from outside and went crazy. She started meowing super loudly and checking out every patio between my apartment and the end of the building. She also stopped at every door and meowed at it like she was hoping someone would answer and bring her kittens out. She continued doing this for at least 20 minutes. I went out to the parking lot to see if any kittens came out of hiding and she eventually joined me out there. She continued calling a bit then just sat down and made the occasional call that sounded very half-hearted and broken. It was the most heartbreaking thing I’ve ever seen/heard. Does this mean she lost both of her kittens in the last 3 days? Is there anything I can do to help her? Is there any way for me to tell for sure?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you borrow a humane trap to catch mom and kittens? It would be best if you could bring them inside and get them spayed/neutered. You can use a stinky food like fried chicken to lure them to the trap. Hopefully it will draw them out.

You could also post notices in your apartment complex to see if anyone took the kittens in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to hope somebody did a spontan rescue of the kittens, knowing its high time to catch them NOW if you want to have an easy fostering into sociale cats.

But yes, she behaves as she had lost them in some way.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With new be caretaker I mean here these without any previous experience of handfeeding with a syringe....

As you tell you do have such an experience, Im not worrying more about this.