Feral Cat Advice Needed

Happelieee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been in/out of cat rescue since the year 2000, even having my own rescue for 1 of those years. I consider myself pretty good with feral kitties. Here's my scoop...

I live in a regular neighborhood and a year and 1/2 ago I was feeding 8 feral cats. All best of buds. With help of a local rescue they were all trapped and fixed and even tried taming them down by keeping them all in my garage and working with them for 35 days. Finally I decided they just needed to be released so I let them go and my husband put in a cat door in the garage window and within 1 month, all 8 cats were going in/out of our garage at night and 1 of the 8 became tame enough to pet and play but not to be picked up.

A year later I was told by a neighbor that they were going to start trapping the cats 1 at a time and hauling them off somewhere. I wanted them to stay together and that though horrified me so I asked them to give me a week to see what I could do, which they did. I spent the 1st week trapping them in the garage (the first set of 5 who were the fab 5, very close knit. Then I reached out on Next Door and found 2 related barn homes willing to take all 8. 5 to one barn and 3 to the other. It was a dream come true, an answer to prayer.

Well...5 weeks after they were all rehomed to their barn homes, one of the 5 showed up at our house. Why I have NO idea! I played with him with the string toy and fed him and within 24 hours he was back in my garage trapped and tried to start working with him.

Here is where I need ADVICE - one of my cats attacked him out of nowhere. Not bad enough for a vet visit but ugly enough for me to think this may not work out.

He was in the garage 1 month before we caught him again to move him into my big double decker cage. The cage was moved into the bedroom where my other 4 cats hang out most of the day so they could get used to each other. I've been swapping scents and they seem to be ok but he's still in a cage, at least I think it's a he. There were 2 black kitties that looked almost identical and this is one of those. Name is HAPPY...lol

The most progress I've made was with a cat puppet my husband found and I pet him with that puppet attached to the kitty toy wand. I tried my hand in the past 2x but when he reached out to touch me he used all claws. He has NOT learned to be gentle. I've only been able to pet him with the wand toy or with the puppet attached to the wand.

Yesterday morning 10/29, all my normal cats were out of the bedroom and I opened the cage door to give Happy the room for the day and see how it goes. In 3 hours Happy came out and hung out under the bed in different locations as every time I checked in on him, he was moved. That was 6am - 1pm, when I checked in on him again and he was back in the cage eating. I slowly walked over and shut the cage door. Trying again this morning.

ADVICE needed on what else I can do to desensitize my big cat to Happy so no more attacking happens? I do not want to keep Happy if his life would be in misery because of 1 of my other cats.

I know this was lengthy - sorry about that. Just thought you would need the whole story in order to give advice. anna

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just takes cats an incredible amount of time to get used to each other. It WILL work out with patience and getting them all used to each other. I once had cats that took a full year to get along, but they finally did! Can you contact the barn homes and see what is going on? 5 weeks was not near enough time to hold them before freeing them at the barn home, they need at LEAST two full months and three is even better. Did the others disappear? And you don't know how long it took him to get back. Please check on the others in case they are roaming, lost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Happelieee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both - The guide really helped me understand a bit more about really taking it slower and how that helps - I have seen a difference in their behavior towards each other (my cats) with Happy while being in the cage. At first there was a lot of hissing, but barely a hiss any more. They seem to be getting used to each other, especially with swapping their scents on the cat puppet.

I have contacted the barn home and was told the kitties are still eating/drinking and staying around. I will reach out again to get an update. That's a great idea.

Had shockingly great progress over the weekend with Happy - (All this progress was while I had hard music playing in the background. Very calming effect.

I let Happy out of the cage both Saturday and Sunday. First day explored under all area of the bed and then went back in the cage on his/her own after 7 hours.

2nd day - WOW - under the edge of the bed, then started exploring the bedroom and decided to hang out on the windowsill for quite a while. This time was out about 9 hours but didn't want to go into the cage on his/her own so I did coax gently to go back in and it went well. Settled in for the night.

This morning WAS HUGE - I was petting Happy with the hand puppet and he/she was doing the eye blinking FINALLY, so I reached my fingers around the hand puppet and pet Happy with my fingers on the head and Happy leaned into the pet and enjoyed it for about 10 minutes. I pet sometimes with the puppet, sometimes with my entire hand, and sometimes a mixture of both and the progress continues. I'll continue to take it slow but perhaps I now have 5 kitties....anna

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Great news! I have only ever worked with or adopted ferals, and the time frame for acceptance can be very long, but then suddenly it is like a line has been crossed and everything becomes so much better.

Thank you for saving the cats from the neighbor who wanted to harm them. I am just curious as psi trailing is a minor interest of mine....how far away were the barn homes from your property?

Happelieee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reading this just made my whole day!! :cloud9::itslove:
This morning I pet Happy again only this time Happy was making air biscuits. Got to pet from the nose all the way to the base of the tail. WOW! Still using the cat puppet around the head area with fingers around and then keeping that there while petting with my hand on the back. Going very slowly.

Happelieee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news! I have only ever worked with or adopted ferals, and the time frame for acceptance can be very long, but then suddenly it is like a line has been crossed and everything becomes so much better.

Thank you for saving the cats from the neighbor who wanted to harm them. I am just curious as psi trailing is a minor interest of mine....how far away were the barn homes from your property?
The barn home where Happy came back was not all that far away. It is an 8 minute drive from my house to the barn if that gives you an idea. It's a wonderful area where there are quite a few barn homes all right next to each other. Each home probably has a few acres.

It was funny because one day I just looked out and saw a black cat underneath my mother in law's car all sprawled out and I thought...no way...because that is what they all used to do when they were with me. I got the wand toy out and looked underneath and saw the ear tipped and then thought...uh oh...why did this cat come back and then the kitty played with the wand toy and was so familiar behavior wise, that I knew it was one of the black kitties although wasn't positive which one. There were 3 looked very similar. When all 3 were side by side I could tell them apart, but separately I just couldn't seem to get it right all the time.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
An 8 minute drive, around here at a normal speed, is probably about 5 miles or so. He wanted to come back to you.