Feral cat advice - he'll let me pet him, but won't come out of his hiding spot

Lasagna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I had been feeding a feral cat (now named Lasagna) for about 6 months, he wouldn't let me get closer than about 5 feet, but didn't seem super scared, and not at all aggressive. 3 months ago I trapped him for TNR, and the day I brought him home I found a cat that had been hit by a car 100 feet from my house. 😥 So for both his safety and my own emotional well-being, I made him a safe place in my laundry room with the intention of finding him a barn home. Since then, I realized he's super chill, and considered trying to see if he might be interested in being a housecat. My goal is still to find him a barn home where he can hang outside and do his cat thing as soon as it warms up some, and if that doesn't work I'd like him to be a housecat, but if he doesn't want that I'll release him where I caught him (my front yard) and just hope for the best!

Since he's been in my care, he only comes out of his cozy cat cave at night, when he eats, uses the litter box, and uses the scratching post. I spend time in the room with him during the day working so he can hear me, and he doesn't seem fazed by my presence. He lets me pet him, will eat treats that I put in front of him as soon as I walk away (he won't eat if I'm near), and most of the day I get to listen to him snoring (very loudly) as he lounges in his bed. But the fact that he won't come out during the day is what concerns me - is this definitive proof that he is not a candidate for indoor life? Or have I just not given it enough time?

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide, I just want to make sure I'm doing right by him!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Thank you for helping this boy and having options for his well being. Three months is not that long and from your description, things are not going badly. He is acting like a former feral who is very happy to have a home, evidenced by his deep sleep. It is very possible that his former life outside was nocturnal and he is still on that schedule. As he adjusts more to your home, this may change, although the fact that he might remain somewhat nocturnal is not a bad thing. You did not say that he is doing anything to disturb you at night, no zoomies or yowling, so that is also a good sign.

I rescued a TNRed (not be me) feral female four weeks ago. She is about 5 years old and we had worked on getting acquainted as I had bad vibes about where she was living and they did come to pass. I set her up in a bathroom, to which the door is now open at all times, as are all interior doors in the house. She voluntarily stays in her bed in the bathroom during the day, but I know wanders the house at night and has even started to sneak onto the bed. Just about an hour ago, I picked her up and carried her around the house, putting her down at the opposite end of the house and she walked right back to the bathroom bed.

I think that your orange boy is definitely happy to be a house cat even now. Will he play with you with a toy such as Da Bird where you do not have to touch him? I would give this more time and remember you can come here to discuss what is going on.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a very adorable cat,i had this beautiful angel cat Daisy,for 8 months we fed her,took care of her,but never once would she let us get too close, 1st she was pregnant,end she was an adult cat afraid of humans , 3rd she met us when she was pregnant ,that's why she was always defensive d got used to it even after giving birth,she would come to me,do some of her head bumping but get alert the moment we touched her,she would sleep at our house but she never really got too comfy,i think after a certain age it becomes some of the cat's instinct to always be on their guard they can't really help it,it's not like they hate you or are scared of you, their defensive mode is just way too strong for any of us to break through, but that DOES NOT means they don't love or trust you, after giving birth Daisy brought her kids to show me,stayed in a few days saw how i treated her kids and then left them with me,she trusted me so much to leave her kids (3months old) with me so i could keep them safe,and then she left,coz she wanted her kids to grow well and safe with me and if she won't leave her kids will never grow independent,she was such a great mother and she sacrificed so much,
But the thing is give it some time,have patience,give them all the love you can and either way you'll win,they will show their love to you in some way, don't lose hope.

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also daisy remained a stray cat,coz we already have another cat and we weren't allowed to have a other one,i would have loved to adopt her but stray cats love their independence way to much,she would get injured yet she won't stay at our house to be safe and guarded,but in your case where there can be such accidents taking place i don't recommend leaving him outside. You should continue what you are doing, if possible and if he doesn't run away let him go outside for a while too for some time so he doesn't feel Trapped,if you or your friend (invite them with their pet) has other cat pets let them interact with him,i think keeping him safe is important.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Since he's been in my care, he only comes out of his cozy cat cave at night, when he eats, uses the litter box, and uses the scratching post. I spend time in the room with him during the day working so he can hear me, and he doesn't seem fazed by my presence. He lets me pet him, will eat treats that I put in front of him as soon as I walk away (he won't eat if I'm near), and most of the day I get to listen to him snoring (very loudly) as he lounges in his bed. But the fact that he won't come out during the day is what concerns me - is this definitive proof that he is not a candidate for indoor life? Or have I just not given it enough time?

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide, I just want to make sure I'm doing right by him!
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking Lasagna in :clapcat:

Yes, I agree with what fionasmom fionasmom mentioned. He's happy to be a housecoat. Listen to him snore while he sleeps and uses the litterbox, eats and uses the scratch post and not fazed by your presence and let you pet him and give him treats, this is a sure sign that he is comfortable being indoors except that the trust part with you will have some work to do. Not that he don't trust you else he won't be doing what he's been doing but he just need a little more time o put his trust a 100% in.

You can work this out. Just spend more time with him, sit on the floor whole you talk with him, play with him with a cat wand or roll a ball to him and move in slowly to retrieve the ball. All this slow and calm action will build his trust in you. Always praise him or pet him, or give him a treat when he does well. Through this, you can slowly move closer to him and once he sense no danger, he'll also slowly open up.

Leave some towels with him to soak up his scents and after a few days, move the towels around the room. This will expand his scent so that e'll be more confident to move around as the scents are familiar. Same for you, you can leave a clean unwashed non perfumed garment with him to let him get use to your scents. Cats get around with familiar scents. Give him time to explore at his own time. Giving the worse scenario, he's already indoors and comfortable and that is what you want and could be the way that he will be. But who knows, he may change after awhile after settling down. Give him time, don't rush him.

What you've been doing is great but just don't give up. He's better indoors than outdoors and since he's already indoors, it makes no sense to let him out again. Remember this, love, patience and routines rules the day and also when dealing with cats brought in from outdoors, it's alway one step forward and two steps back in order to achieve success.

BTW, he's a cutie :redheartpump: :hearthrob: and he looks like a love bug to me.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the name Lasagna!

Welcome to TCS too! :welcomesign:

As for this cute orange Lasagna, give him time as what others here said. I also once had a feral I managed to catch and taken indoors and took me quite some time to get her trust, until one day she just sat on my lap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lasagna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone so much for your feedback! Some days I've felt like a mean person for keeping him inside, but as I sit here listening to him snore I know he's comfortable, relaxed, and safe. He's not searching for his next meal, he's got a nice cozy warm bed, doesn't have to dodge cars, all that. I have all the time in the world for him to open up, so I'll just be patient and make sure he's still feeling safe!

For anyone wondering, he looked like a Garfield to me, but I thought that was too cliche, so he's Lasagna!